225 x 45 R17 - W124 E300 D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

javaid

Car
280 TE (124K) & 300 TE (178K) & 300 TE (200K) & E300 D (250k), E220 1997 (218k)
Hi
I have a W124 E300 Diesel which has just completed 250K miles and still going strong. This is my fourth W124 estate.
I initiall had the standard steel wheel which I replaced with the standard 195/65 alloys. All good so far.

I then bought some 225 x 45 R17 and was told that they would fit.
During the cold spell when the car was parked for two week without being driven two of the tyres went flat.

I thought that this may be a good idea to change all four wheels. When I changed the rear two and tested the car I found that there was a 'rubbing' noise. I also noticed that the brake pedel did not have as much travel with the new wheels as it did with the old.

So, to my question, can I use these wheels on my car?
If I can then what is the noise that I am hearing, from what I could see I could not see where it may be rubbing?
Do I need to use some spacers or different bolts to secure the wheels.

I looked at the PDF of the and it does show that this size of wheels should fit. Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks in advance for your comments and advise.

sound Two weeks ago due to to having a slow leak

the car is going to be so much nicer to drive with the std 195/65/15 wheels / tyres imho

SUppose you are right but I would still like to have a go

Unfortunately I think you may well be right.
One of those mad moments when the heart ruled the head.
The bigger wheels do look great, something that even my son mentioned when he was helping me change them, and that is really saying something since he is not a fan of the W124.

Do you think that they should still fit.

They have four new types on them and I would hate to sell them without trying them out. lol.

MB never designed the car to be fitted with 17 inch wheels and they certainly did not design the suspension to work well with 225 wide and 45 profile tyres and thats why you have a rubbing noise - so personally I would forget it.
Surely it would have been cheaper to buy some new 15" tyres anyway?

Does the E36 w124 not have 225/45/17 tyres ? on 7.5 x 17 inch wheels ?

Many , many people put the AMG II's with 225's on their w124s with no issues. What is the size and offset of your new wheels ?

Regarding the brakes... did you change the wheel bolts? Are they the right length?

Also, do you have front mudflaps fitted, if so they will rub.

I did not change the bolts and do not have any mud flaps front or rear.
I only tried them on the rear not the front
Would changing the bolts make a difference?

Size and offfset, good question, where do I find that out?

Thanks Smiley, but like I said, heart ruled the head that day and the deed was done.

Last edited:
Look on the back of the wheels and post any info you see there.

Your looking for something like 7Jx17H2xET35, thats just an example.

Also there will a MB part number.

There are 124 specific AMG Style II's so Howard is correct. I believe the offset of these wheels was around 42. Will need to check as its off the top of my head.....and its quite late.

agree you need to know the et figure.

and agree the bolts are too long for the wheel and rubbing on the back.

you need to change those bolts pronto.

Does the E36 w124 not have 225/45/17 tyres ? on 7.5 x 17 inch wheels ?

Many , many people put the AMG II's with 225's on their w124s with no issues. What is the size and offset of your new wheels ?

But the suspension and brakes have been designed around the bigger wheels?
Changing from 195/65/15 to 225/45/17 is a huge difference in wheel / tyre characteristics -what is the benefit of doing this?

No , not as far as i know.

It's only 30mm wider on the tyres , the rolling radius should be the same , it will give a harder ride though.

agree you need to know the et figure.

and agree the bolts are too long for the wheel and rubbing on the back.

you need to change those bolts pronto.

I'm actually concerned the bolts are too short...from steels to alloys......

If it is not the bolts rubbing, then if the ET dimension is wrong, the inside of the wheel could be rubbing against the shock etc.

But the suspension and brakes have been designed around the bigger wheels?
Changing from 195/65/15 to 225/45/17 is a huge difference in wheel / tyre characteristics -what is the benefit of doing this?

As Howard has already mentioned, the rolling radius is pretty much the same.

From just looking at the figures the wider tyre will give better grip as there will be a bigger contact patch with the road. But in the wet you are more likely to experience aqua planing with wide tyres as they will struggle to get rid of water from the middle of the tyre quick enough.

Wheel Problem

Did not get a chance to get home this weekend to find out the ET and other details. I will get the info on the weekend and post it then as I would like to keep them if I can.

I did change the bolts when I changed to the alloys from the steel wheels.

This is my 4th W124 and the best I have had and being a diesel with 7 seats it's fantastic for us as we have 4 children.

Thanks

definalty get new bolts , steel wheels use a shorter bolt than alloy wheels.
You need about 15mm of the thread of the bolt to stick through wheel to secure wheel to hub
find the ET of the wheel
on a W124 I have found the best offset for 17" wheels to be inbetween et42 / et 35 ideally et 40 or 38 on the front .
Personally i love 17" & 18" wheels on W124

Last edited:
225/45 ZR17 - for E300 D

Ok, here goes, this is what the wheels say on the inside

8J x 17 H2
ET 35
EIND
MAM2-801

I did use the bolts from the the ones that fit the standard 195/65 alloys and these are the longer one compared to the steel tyres.

Are you saying that that the bolts may be too long and they are rubbing?

So should they fit, and if they should then what could be rubbing?

Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom