229.51 Engine oils

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldmedic999

Car
CLS 350CDI
I have just been Quoted £60+VAT for 20lts Mercedes 229.51 DPF engine oil. This is made under the name of Patronas. Quoted to be used in all Mercedes DPF engines. Can anyone beat that?

:eek::cool::dk:

Petronas surely?
as in
15.jpg__0x960_q85_crop-smart_mask-0%203px%200%203px.jpg

I would avoid anything actually labelled as Patronas Oil:eek:

Vauxhall do a trade club 25 litre tub for about £45 IIRC. Apparently supplied from one of the big names in oil. I bought 2 tubs about 6 months ago.

oldmedic999 said:
I have just been Quoted £60+VAT for 20lts Mercedes 229.51 DPF engine oil. This is made under the name of Patronas. Quoted to be used in all Mercedes DPF engines. Can anyone beat that? :eek::cool::dk:

Petronas Syntium is very very good oil,been running that in my OM642 V6 with no issues whatsoever. Good MPG figures too. Eurocarparts supply this oil

I buy my oil directly from mb. It's not petronas in the barrels anymore.
I am pretty sure it's Fuchs

MB recently changed there supplier to Patronas from Mobil. Has something to do with F1 racing. Thanks all for your points of view.

We also buy from MB as their 229.51 is now the cheapest..

We used to use the Vauxhall stuff too...

We dont buy barrells as too much goes walkies... We use 5L containers.

OK, guys. I'll use the brains on here instead of starting a new thread.
I have a 2002 ML55 AMG with 105K on the clock.
I've done over 5K miles since the last oil change 14 months ago. Everything is running sweet and she hasn't told me she needs a service yet but I like to change my engine oils annually so I'm gonna change the oil and filter.
So apart from Mobil 1, which is the best engine oil for my 12 years old V8?
Also, I believe a fleece filter is better than a paper oil filter so where can I source an engine oil filter?
Advice please.
Chris.

CHRISCHANCE said:
OK, guys. I'll use the brains on here instead of starting a new thread. I have a 2002 ML55 AMG with 105K on the clock. I've done over 5K miles since the last oil change 14 months ago. Everything is running sweet and she hasn't told me she needs a service yet but I like to change my engine oils annually so I'm gonna change the oil and filter. So apart from Mobil 1, which is the best engine oil for my 12 years old V8? Also, I believe a fleece filter is better than a paper oil filter so where can I source an engine oil filter? Advice please. Chris.
hi Chris I use Mobil 1 15w50 on my E55 AMG is not cheap but is the best engine oil for high milage performance engines , you can't get it in uk anymore but still available for sale at eBay will cost you about £75 5l can check the can on eBay you want the one with mercedes racing spec one .

Some say that you should only use Mobil 1 with AMG engines, and while others may dispute this, if you have been using Mobil 1 before I would stick with it.

Good sources for engine oil in general are MB dealers, Vauxhall dealers for GM oil on Trade Club, Costco for Mobil-1 if you are a member, and for all brands there are ECP with forum discount and Opie Oils.

The fleece filter element is not 'better' as such but it is longer lasting than the paper element - from memory the fleece is 13k while the paper is 10k - however if you intend to change oil annually and with low mileage then it will probably not make much difference.

Any good brand filter will do: MB-branded or Bosch, Knecht, Hengst, Mann, or Mahle. You can Google it and buy online from where cheapest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom