230 CLK Non starter (not CPS)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clkelly

Car
230 clk cabriolet
Hi, I do hope someone can help with this. I have a 1999 230 clk cab. The car was not used for about 2-3 months and is parked in my driveway, when I went to use it last week it would not start. Had the battery checked and charged and it is OK. When I put the key in ignition all dash lights and ancilleries work, but turn to start position and all I get is a 'click'. Got a local mechanic to come and have a look under the bonnet, when I turned key to start car smoke was coming from starter motor. Thought this would be straight forward enough but mechanic has said that it might not be starter. What he done was put car into neutral and turned the engine from the pulley belts to see if there was free movement. He said this could eliminate a major engine fault. This was fine.

So I expected him to come and remove starter moter today. Now he says that he has to remove engine cover and plugs to check and see if the timing chain has jumped a cog? Is this likely or posssilbe? Am I about to be parted with a serious amount of money by this mechanic? Any help, suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

He thinks the engine has jammed. So, what he proposes sounds about right.

He has already eliminated a seized engine by turning the engine with the front pulley,
I reckon the starter is the problem.

You're right.

So, if the engine does turn over by hand, then yes it seems the starter is either jammed or done.

Has engine earth been checked?

Hi, if there is smoke coming from the starter motor and the engine won't turn over,then first
thing to check is starter motor.How can a timing chain jump teeth with out the engine turning?

A click is definitely the sound of a dead battery.
Are you sure the smoke isn't steam from something heating up near the starter?

Otherwise I'd agree that it's probably the starter itself.

Hi, if there is smoke coming from the starter motor and the engine won't turn over,then first
thing to check is starter motor.How can a timing chain jump teeth with out the engine turning?
Thats what I thought too. Think the best option is to get the starter out and checked then take it from there. Thanks

Whats the point in checking the timing chain? If he can turn it over by hand but the starter wont turn it over then surely he should begin the testing with the starter motor.
Was it running crap before it wouldn't start? If not even more reason to start with the starter motor.
The timing chains in 208s are a duplex chain and very very rarely have trouble with the timing chains.

In my opinion he is just trying to sell you hours. I would get it down to a decent indie.

The 'click' is the pre-engagement of the starter motor to the ring gear after which it should turn the motor if it does not and just smokes this does indicate that the contacts have been made and either the starter has gone south or the battery has not got enough grunt to get the job done. As we all know the acid test for a battery is under load which is exactly what you are doing when you try to start the car ......... don't rule out the battery as the car has been stood for a while and it obviously was drained, it won't like it.

Whats the point in checking the timing chain? If he can turn it over by hand but the starter wont turn it over then surely he should begin the testing with the starter motor.
Was it running crap before it wouldn't start? If not even more reason to start with the starter motor.
The timing chains in 208s are a duplex chain and very very rarely have trouble with the timing chains.

In my opinion he is just trying to sell you hours. I would get it down to a decent indie.

Thanks for this, the bit about selling me hours was my what I thought as well. Car was running absolutly fine before. Hope to get it to another garage soon.

Cheers

The 'click' is the pre-engagement of the starter motor to the ring gear after which it should turn the motor if it does not and just smokes this does indicate that the contacts have been made and either the starter has gone south or the battery has not got enough grunt to get the job done. As we all know the acid test for a battery is under load which is exactly what you are doing when you try to start the car ......... don't rule out the battery as the car has been stood for a while and it obviously was drained, it won't like it.

Battery looks like the original so maybe the extended lay up killed it off. Will get it replaced before getting starter removed. Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

A fully charged battery could still be faulty. I had one just go in an instant. I stopped the car, went into a shop and came back out and then got that click when I tried to start it.
Lights and radio worked, as did the electric windows which are high drain so I also assumed it was the starter.
Turned out to be a cell on the battery had just failed and couldn't give enough juice to the starter to turn the car.

It's the easiest thing to check with a borrowed battery.

Hi,i have a v reg clk,nearly 12 years old,i have owned it for 10.The keys have been the only problem i have ever had.I put new batteries in the key fob, yet i have to put the key in about 20 times before it will turn.....any thoughts ?

Thanks everybody for suggestions and tips. Finally got the CLK going, turns out it was a corroded positive lead from battery to the starter motor. £20 for part from Merc and £20 for guy to fit, happy days, now just wish the rain would stop. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom