230 TE water ingress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecossebev

Car
Mercedes Benz 230 TE
Just noticed on my '91 230TE, that a slight amount of water is seeping into the rear of the car (not much, just a few drips). There is a 2 piece metal trim, that surrounds the rear window, and at the top, there is about an 6"wide 1/8 inch opening. I'm pretty certain this is where the water is coming in. It looks like the previous owner has 'fixed' it with some silicon sealant. As its a bonded screen, I'm guessing it will cost a fortune to repair, so, the question I'm asking is, would it be cheaper to claim off my insurance if for example the glass was hit by......... a stray golf ball (accidently of course), or some hoodie tanned it with a brick. I have a £50 excess to replace the windscreen. Any correspondence would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....

Do you mean the tailgate window? It's not bonded I'm sure. Not the one I had anyway. PM me your number and I'll have a look.

Phone number!!!

edit

Just thought. Not enough postings for PM. I'll try to you.

edit

that doesn't work either.

email me........ [email protected]

Last edited:
the rear screen isn't bonded so they are fairly easy to get changed.

If it's leaking at the top, check the tube feeding the screen washer - that's the usual failure

Also check the side windows, they are prone to the odd leak as well

The tailgate glass just pushes out. A word of warning - if you take the glass out then open the tailgate it'll give you a hefty smack on the way up - the weight of the glass keeps it down normally

As Andy says the rear side windows are the usual source of water in estates

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

i had water ingress problem in my 124 estate. It was pretty bad and was making it into the rear footwells!

Check the drain hole grommets (remove and clean out) that sit in the side parts where the washer fluid bottle is and under the spare wheel.

Check that there is no water coming in around the rear light clusters

Check the aerial mount

Check there is no water seeping through the side window trim - especially at the corners

I fixed mine with some black outside sealant from B&Q etc. You can apply it to the areas (in my case i filled under the electric aerial grommet thing and i lined the inside of the lower side window rubber with it all along. Lift the rubber trim and squirt it in neatly along.

Also it may be worth removing the floor trim from the 7 seat footwell/storage area (held in by plastic rivits all round) and checking for water laying there - it can create mould. Again, there should be some sort of drainage hole here.

If the leak is pretty bad, then try sitting in the closed boot area and get an assistant to spray a hose around the car whilst you check for water coming in.

Fixed my leak :)

Good luck

Many thanks to Druk (and his screwdriver), who helped (hopefully) rectify this problem. An incorrectly fitted seal, appeared to be at fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom