230CE Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kitts

Car
Several!
Hi everyone

I'm new here and wondered if I might ask for some advice? I've spotted a 1991 230CE I'm interested in with an auto box. I've had Merc before, but not a sports model.

The car looks well, has service history etc BUT, I would need to tow a caravan with it with about 1200kgs max laden weight.

Can anyone help me with maximum tow weights on this car, and if they do actually tow okay from experience?

Another option I've spotted is a Ssang Yong Musso with Merc engine in locally which looks really well - but obviously nowhere near as pretty as the CE and WAY more insurance as I can get the CE on a classic policy.

Any info or thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

Dawn :)

The car will tow fine .

I don't have the figures here , but guess the kerbweight will be in the region of 1500Kg .

MB quote a max towing weight of 2100Kg for most of their models , although this is obviously well over 100% and inadvisable . Someone with a handbook for the coupes should be able to come along and advise the exact figures , and noseweight limits for those models .

I have towed larger twin axle caravans up to about 1500Kg laden with W123 and W124 estates and had no problems . Similarly with various Mercedes saloons , both four and six cylinder . The larger engined ones will maintain speed uphill better , and don't need to work just so hard .

The 230 engine will work fairly hard to tow uphills , but will still manage OK . If the car is automatic , you may want to fit a Kenlowe transmission cooler .

Welcome to the forum Dawn. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom