230ce with a dissapointing overall check

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shaunk_22

Car
Mercedes 230CE & Seat Toledo V5
Ok, after being fed up getting deafened by the engine noise I decided I'd put it in my local garage to give it a check over. This is the outcome.

1. General check - engine noise
2. The camchain is noisy
3. The exhaust noise is from number 4 cylinder on the exhaust manifold
4. Slight play in nsf and osf wheel bearings
5. There are perished bushes on the rear suspension
6. Slight wear in propshaft rubber to rear of gearbox and slight wear in the centre joint
7. Slight wear in the brake discs
8. Oil leak at rear differential
9. The near side chassis and floor pan are badly corroded and holed

Now, what to do? do it up over the course of its 8 month mot or sell it as spares or repairs? I think I owe it to myself to pay a visit to the person who mot'd this car and see what answer he comes up after being shown this list lol.

Numbers 1-8 can be repaired easily. A corroded chassis is another thing all together. I'd personally be worried about the structural integrity to any work carried out on a chassis.

Alot of that list just sounds like mot advisories, was any of the above advised on the last mot? The only major problem is number 9, but again that depends on how bad it is.

Your list sounds like any other normal w124 e class to me, the previous owner has done only what is needed to pass the mot, and not the rest.

Alot of that list just sounds like mot advisories, was any of the above advised on the last mot? The only major problem is number 9, but again that depends on how bad it is.

Your list sounds like any other normal w124 e class to me, the previous owner has done only what is needed to pass the mot, and not the rest.
Apparently it passed first time and thier were no advisories at all on the mot pass sheet, which sounds very suspicious to me.
However, I've booked it in at my local garage next week to get the manifold gasket and cam chain done, so hopefully that should keep the rattling and noise at bay. 4-8 I think I'll manage to do myself over time, and I've got a couple of mates who are welders so I'll have a word with them about the rot underneath. Alot of people have been saying I should do it up and keep it so I think thats what I'll do. I just hope we don't get a bad winter.

the cam chain may just need a new spring in the tensioner, which Merc used to sell seperately - significantly cheaper than new chain replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom