230E W124 running rough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

230Eguy

Hello forum,

First thanks to all for this great forum, I've just joined but have found it already very very helpful.

I've recently purchased a w124 230E in less than stellar condition and have decided to sort some of the issues out myself. I'm not exactly the most gifted DIY mechanic but I figured this is a good time to learn :)

Issues:
When it rains or its humid the engine runs rough and has less power, sounds like its running on three pots only.

Ive taken off the distr. cap and what I saw looked pretty worn out, so I will replace the whole lot, dis. cap, rotor, plug leads and plugs.

The problem I've got is that the parts supplier is asking if the car has a cat or not....and I've got no idea - how cna I tell. Its a 1989 model...thats all I know.

Also, I need to purchase an appropriate plug wrench but Im not sure of the correct size - 16mm correct?

Many thanks for any advice you might be able to give!

Thanks!

I doubt it will have a cat at that age...

This engine does suffer with humidity getting into distributor... a change of all the parts you mention should help..

Had the same with my old w124 230ce when i bought it , changed the bits you mention , go for the OEM leads ( expensive but worth it , circa £220 for the w124 2.3 L ) ...

The problem i had with mine in particular was a cracked dizzy cap , but you couldn't see it when you took the cap off , it only appeared when you tightened it up , the crack was that small .

New leads , plugs , and cap later , all was well.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

H

Try replacing the distributor cap ,rotor arm and spark plugs first. This may cure the problem without going to the expense of changing the plug leads if you are strapped for cash. When you remove the plug leads from the plugs take great care and DON'T pull on the flexible part of the lead itself.

If you are going to keep the car then original electrical parts are much better and will work, and will work for a long time.

Give your car VIN to the Merc dealer parts guy and he will make sure the parts are spot on - there are often various options with Mercs and part numbers do change - hence why factors often get it wrong and cannot keep up with the pace of change. You should be aware that even for out of production cars a lot of changes take place on part numbers with Mercs.

Always ask for discount as parts depts have targets to meet and do not want to loose your business, so you will get a discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom