230K vs 2007 GTI vs E46 330Ci

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mercedes tend to be slightly conservative in their 0-62 times, which are a load of cobblers anyway. Much more meaningful is 20-70 times. These can accurately be timed with a stopwatch and demonstrate the real acceleration of the car ignoring off the line traction.

0-62 is all about initial traction and gear ratios long enough to get to 62 without a change to 3rd.
Agreed but tough to find 20 - 70 times listed for various models though!

har har... ;), by the way i got a quote on refurbing the diff for £100 at that place i quoted in the other thread, rekon i should go for it?

In the past I have done a bit of work for BMW at Rockingham Raceway (Mainly driving VIPS and prospective buyers on fast laps). Can't comment on the Pirelli golf as I have never driven one but i have driven quite a few r32's. The BMW 330ci is a bit of a non descript car neither fast or well handling, you have to go to the M3 if you want this. The auto box in the BMW 3 is a dog and I don't know where they got there 0 -60 mph figures from as the only way that car could do it in 6.8 secs is if you dropped it off the end of a cliff. When I tested it for prospective owners the best I could ever manage was high 7's a full second slower than published figures. I drive a CLK 230K with some slight mods as yours and looking at the specs of the cars involved I would have thought the BMW would be last in this game and indeed the Golf first. But it's always great to get one over on a BMW driver and keep that big grin on your face. Nice one Rage !!

har har... ;), by the way i got a quote on refurbing the diff for £100 at that place i quoted in the other thread, rekon i should go for it?
Where was that.? Let us know how it goes, that is cheap.

A quarter mile time imo is the best indication of traction and speed.

Dave!

Just to answer Howard's question, i think my 0-60 time is around 6.2-6.5 secs when i get desired launch.

Diesel, i got it the quote from these guys,

http://www.hardyengineering.co.uk/content_contact.htm

I told them about the noise, and that i was advised that its possibly the bearings, they said "oh if its just the bearings then you're looking at about a hundred quid, and we'll replace them with higher quality parts than the originals, but if it requires any more parts than your going to have to pay out accordingly". This £100 though is if i bring them the differential, if they have to take it out of the car and put it back, it'll be like £250 (just my guess) or probably more. But i'll see what happens when they drive the car and hear the noise.

So , well under a second off book time ....

Impressive ...

Thanks.
I'd say your diff has a broken crownwheel though. I would do my own bearings, they are easy.

I timed Rage's video at 6.5 taking the needle to 62mph. Allow a bit for a needle catchup and he is right.

The crown wheel can break and the car still runs? when my other diff went 'boom' i was driving it by mercy from god lol, it could've just stopped at any time.

Teeth can break off giving the type of play you had.
This was a common occurance for V8 landrovers front diffs when offroading.

I'm not doubting it , but how does a 200bhp car do it in the same time as a 326 bhp car .... the 500e w124 isn't that much heavier .... and surely the 5 litre V8 has more torque ?

Perhaps someone modified your car before you bought it Rage ?

Is that rev dial broken or did u not fully rev it to 6.3k revs in first gear? And i've been thinking the same thing (that my car might be modded prior to purchase, it is imported from malaysia to be fair!)... my car in first gear accelerates so ferociously and it kinda dies in 2nd, and dies more in 3rd. I can keep up with much faster cars in first gear (which ends at 32mph) and then i drift behind them rather quickly, which i would imagine is what would happen if i was next to the 500E ;).

Last edited:
Teeth can break off giving the type of play you had.
This was a common occurance for V8 landrovers front diffs when offroading.

So what is actually "woooing", to indicate it being broken, do u mind explaining in slightly more detail?

There is no point in running to the limiter in 1st gear. Plus it wasn't a best start, just floor the throttle in drive and lift slightly to let 2nd gear come in sooner and replant the throttle.

0-60 is no measure of a cars power imo, I struggle to get much distance between me and a friends Focus ST when playing silly buggers but as soon as i'm into 3rd and the speed are rising I just romp away happily.

Plus there is the weight issue.

Dave!

That 500 made a nice gentle start, not a full on thrash. Try it holding it on the brake with the accelerator well planted then let go.
An automatic is usually slower 0-62 than a manual anyway.

The power figures are peak figures, not across the whole range. A charged engine will generate more power over a wider rev range. Power is produced by revving higher, something a charged engine doesn't need to do.

You would need the graphs of both power outputs to really know what each engine is producing.

So what is actually "woooing", to indicate it being broken, do u mind explaining in slightly more detail?

I thought it wasn't doing that anymore. That could be bearing wear or a bit of wear in the gears causing them to make a noise on the over-run.
probably bearings.

Why don't you strip down the old diff to see what's involved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom