230K vs 2007 GTI vs E46 330Ci

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a go with an 02 plate M3 the other evening and was all over him, he couldnt shake me off and i was using tip holding in gears... The 500 flew!!! people tend to think its a lardy CLK normally in 200 or 320 form... you dont see many 500's around...
Would love to put a manul box in it!!!!

There is no point in running to the limiter in 1st gear. Plus it wasn't a best start, just floor the throttle in drive and lift slightly to let 2nd gear come in sooner and replant the throttle.

0-60 is no measure of a cars power imo, I struggle to get much distance between me and a friends Focus ST when playing silly buggers but as soon as i'm into 3rd and the speed are rising I just romp away happily.

Plus there is the weight issue.

Dave!

Uber is perfectly correct if you want a quick 0 - 60 there are 2 things you never do, don't dump the clutch and don't hit the rev limiter.

Looking at the video the car appears to bog down on initial launch and the gear change also appears slow, with a bit better technique this 0 -60 could actually be a lot quicker.

Although again I agree 0 - 60 is no measure of a cars performance just an indicator

I can think of plenty of cars with relatively high 0 -60 times that once they are in 3rd gear will romp away from so called quick hot hatches

1/4 mile times are the best indicator of performance traction and torque, either that or buy some software and hook up the laptop to the OBD port:)

I thought it wasn't doing that anymore. That could be bearing wear or a bit of wear inthe gears causing them to makea noise on the over-run.
probably bearings.

Why don't you strip down teh old diff to see what's involved.

It doesn't make that noise since i re-positioned the backbox and cut away some of the bumper on the inside so it doesn't touch it. But when i recieved this diff from dronsfield it was absolutely filthy, and it had no oil in it either (it had a bit, but hardly enough to run it). So i was a bit weary of its condition when i bought it and i did have in mind that i could refurbish it one day so i never ever have to worry about it again.

I dont mind one-off high expenses, as long as they remain one-off, if you know what i mean, thats why i'm going to get it checked, its free anyway.

If it isn't noisy don't worry about it. It will sing like a banshee before it gives out.
Dronsfield would have drained the oil to send it out to you.

1/4 mile times are the best indicator of performance traction and torque, either that or buy some software and hook up the laptop to the OBD port:)

Cant do that on my car as no OBDII port or HT pickup.

One method of getting an accurate torque curve and to find the best acceleration for each gear is to use a stick on inclinometer/ G force meter, or an electronic one of course.
This will show the actual acceleration in each gear against speed, so tells you when to change up into the next gear.

I'm sure you know this, but that was for others benefit.

Cant do that on my car as no OBDII port or HT pickup.

One method of getting an accurate torque curve and to find the best acceleration for each gear is to use a stick on inclinometer/ G force meter, or an electronic one of course.
This will show the actual acceleration in each gear against speed, so tells you when to change up into the next gear.

I'm sure you know this, but that was for others benefit.

Whoops forgot about cars with no OBDll port.:) You are dead right though a g force meter is what you need to work out where to change up, this is what we do on the race cars using an electronic one and then set the shift lights accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom