230TE 1991 Charcoal Canister Q's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benzers

Car
230TE, but mum had a new 230TE in 1984 (W123), (not the same one) mines a W124
I bought my motor about a month ago now, I've been attempting to do some of the maintenance work myself, indeed with the advice of Mr Haynes.
I'm onto the charcoal canister now. What does this do and is it worth replacing? I was at Merc Temple Fortune yesterday, where they kindly went over my vehicle for gratis. (i only went to pick up some moulding clips). They basically said if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I do like this theory, yet...

I never changed the charcoal cannister when I had a 230TE.
If it works, as I believe it works, then it should never need changing - Unless you inadvertently bust it.

I've changed 2, both on 300e's where the bottom had rusted through.

The charcoal canister provides the vent for your fuel tank. It traps hydrocarbon vapour from the fuel. At a suitable engine speed & load, the ECU opens the solenoid to draw fresh air in through the canister into the engine, permitting the fumes to be burnt.

The only reason I can think of for replacing them is if they suffer from rust or mechanical damage.

Ian.

Thanks for the answers, I've looked at the one I have on it, externally it seems in tip top condition wiped it clean, put a little grease on it and shoved it back in !!

I bought my motor about a month ago now, I've been attempting to do some of the maintenance work myself, indeed with the advice of Mr Haynes.
I'm onto the charcoal canister now. What does this do and is it worth replacing? I was at Merc Temple Fortune yesterday, where they kindly went over my vehicle for gratis. (i only went to pick up some moulding clips). They basically said if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I do like this theory, yet...

There are repairs; and then, there is maintenance.

The charcoal canister is a maintenece item.

At 72,000 miles (on mine) it should be replaced.

They get gummed up/blocked, over time.

so what would be the symptoms of a faulty canister?

the ultimate problem will be a gradually collapsing fuel tank, of which there have been instances on various forums over the years.

The is no hole in the fuel tank cap, so when the engine is sucking on that pipe, there is only the tank to collapse.

but, why wait until you have a problem ?

You would do well to get a maintenace booklet for your car from Mercedes.

Well a collapsing petrol tank doesn't sound very nice, Merc are doing them for £72

They do have service schedule, and need to be replaced - according to the manufactures anyway (not just MB), but no one seem to actually bother (unless they rust/break), including main dealers.

They do have service schedule, and need to be replaced - according to the manufactures anyway (not just MB), but no one seem to actually bother (unless they rust/break), including main dealers.

It is hidden behind the wing.

what the eyes don't see...................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom