240 bargain or not...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

240 black

Hi all

I have been offered a high miler e240.

2 owners - FMBSH

w reg

all the extras - auto with tip - folding mirrors/indicators/trip/part electric seat/

great condition

110,000 miles

£12k

do I walk away, bite off arm ? I love the car, its the miles that worries me a little along with resale value.

Help appreciated , thanks in advance.

Regards

Mark

If the car has a solid service history with all the bills or even better dealership stamps in the service book then 110k miles shouldn't be an issue. I presume the car looks fairly mint and not 'tired'. You say the car does have FMBSH :D If you really want peace of mind you could get an AA check before purchase.

Personally, I wouldn't be worried about that mileage with an up to date service book and tally of bills/invoices.

*EDIT* BTW welcome to the forum :D

S.

Even though the mileage isnt a problem, remmeber the effect it has on the value.

The price seems ok, but then do a little research, you can get t, v, w reg for 12K upwards now with lower mileage.... But if you like the car, then wouldnt worry too much...

Jay

hay 240, I think i have the perfect car for you ;) lolz

ive just got my new E320 CDI, and the car i had before was an E280 Avantgarde. if you would like more info then email me or pm me. the car is an oct 2000 X reg. 65,000 miles. full MBSH, leather, electric seats, heated seats etc. let me know if your interested. i can send you pics as well. btw, where are you from?

thanks,
AkMaL

story so far ...

Thanks Steve, Jay and AkMal

I still have this car and need to make a decision soon, I think im going to take your advice and go for the AA inspection before I do anything. I do very in miles as work where I live so I wont be adding to its currrent 104,000 too much.

I didnt think it was possible to get this type of vehicle for this money so im also on the hunt elsehwhere.

After living with it for a week, I know need a Mercedes instead of just wanting one ! this puts me in a very weak buying position but hey its our secret.

Thanks for your help, its the first time i think I have got true value from the web !

Im still baffled by all this ASSYST business, why cant we normal service intervalls !!!

Regards

Mark

Re: story so far ...

Originally posted by 240 black
Im still baffled by all this ASSYST business, why cant we normal service intervalls !!!

Mark

ASSYST can work to your advantage, as it adjusts mileage between services according to your use and the way you drive. Thrash it and you will get 10K services, drive reasonably and with long runs and it will go up to 15K.:bannana:

As Mercedes services are not cheap whoever does them the higher the mileage the better. To maintain the best resale price you need to keep to the ASSYST suggested mileages.:bannana:

Blimey Brian, I did 19K since my last service, Assyst told me all was fine, asked George Fraser about this and he said all is ok....
Not too keen on having oil in for that long though......

I must drive like a nun then!!!!

lol . . . looks like I'm only going to get about 12k this time, from the 10k that I started with . . . . . can't have been driving too nun-like !!

s.

ASSYST usually allows for 24 months max between services if the car isn't covering many miles, or 12k miles if it is, plus it checks engine load to see how the oil is coping.

S.

Originally posted by Wheelie
Blimey Brian, I did 19K since my last service, Assyst told me all was fine, asked George Fraser about this and he said all is ok....

I couldn't do 19K miles without wearing out a pair of pads!

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
I couldn't do 19K miles without wearing out a pair of pads!

You will have to stop driving in "Doc Martins" Graham.:D :D LOL

Well mine's a 98 and has 96.5K on the clock and is running like a dream, so I say go for it.

But you are right: ask for an inspection.

My only caveat now I'm in the know is to get the gearbox oil changed PDQ. These auto boxes aren't made out of granite as you might expect and the cost of replacement is anywhere between £1500 and £2000 so £120 on an oil and filter change is money well spent IMHO. You won't believe how smoother it is with new oil in it too.

Any more questions PM me.

Greg

Thanks Greg, good advice.

I have the AA coming for an inspection and will get that oil changed in the gearbox pronto.

The car goes in for some cosmetics before I part with any cash and im going to miss it already.

Appreciate your offer of help.

Best wishes

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom