240d engine noise and injection pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarth

My 240d engine has done 100k kms in 30 years. The engine seems to be pretty noisy to me. I have done the valve clearances but nothing else. Injectors? Can the injectors be cleaned or only changed? All the filters are done btw.
Also, there is a tinkling sound coming from the front of the engine - can't pin it down but any clues?
Last point - the injection pump seems to leak engine oil where it is mounted into the engine. Is there a gasket here and can I remove the pump to replace it without any need to reset anything as long as I mark the exact mounting position?

thanks

Check your vacuum pump. If the bearing fails, it can take out the timing chain. I *think* there's an O ring seal between the pump and the block - before you remove the pump, put a mark on the interface with a centre punch - then, you can line the 2 halves of the centre punch mark up to get the timing very close to where it was without too much aggro. At that age, it's probably worth checking timing chain stretch if it's the original chin.

The vacuum pump seems OK. The injection pump has no oil line to it so I assume it is fed via the engine oil and through the connection to the engine block?
The pump is mounted with three bolts and doesn't even look like it would turn relative to the block. Is there some small movement possible?
Another 'nit' is the smell of diesel. I cleaned the engine and can see no leaks at all but there is a strong diesel smell still. Are there any vents or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom