240td 1980 vacuum control valve and auto problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sceh

Car
w123 240TD
I hope this is the right forum.
My oldish 240td (120k kms total from new and my car from new) has an auto box that slips. Most likely it is due to a service by a Bosch injection pump outfit that doesn't understand the intricacies of the vacuum control system. I am not sure what all the pipes do nor how to remove the Vacuum COntrol valve to adjust it. In the attached photo can someone tell me what the brown tube is and what it is connected to on the pump? SImilarly, I assume the green and red go to the unit which is the VCV? How do you either remove or adjust the VCV?

thanks

Attachments

• injection.jpg
    injection.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 10
I'm not sure about the others but the brown in your pic is connected to the stop solenoid on the IP. This is operated by the ignition switch so can be discounted in your search for the gearbox problem. You should trace which of the other pipes goes down to the left side of the gearbox and is attached to the modulator valve on the side of the box. It's this that has an effect on the change. The only adjustment on the VCV on the pump side is by the slots on the fixing nuts. I don't think setting that in either direction would have had the effect of making the box 'slip'.

Have you checked the gearbox fluid level? Dip it at engine idle, with the gearlever in park or neutral, on a level surface and with the car at running temp.

Last edited:
Thanks you very much.
The box 'flares' or over revs as it changes gear and of course it is as slow as a tractor..
So should I adjust the modulator first? I think a turn to the left of the little T-bar makes a harder change?

thanks

Sorry. Pass on all things to do with g/box adjustment. :dk:

Being as slow as a tractor is one of the attributes of a 240D. :D

Have you read my edit about the fluid?

Last edited:
FLuid is fine. I think I will try the VCV adjustment via the slots and simply mark it so I can put it back to the same position if it messes up. Then the modulator.
Keep you posted. Thanks

Does ANYONE (and in that I include Mercedes Benz..) have an accurate and readable (seems you can't generally have both) vacuum diagram for a 240td with the 616.117 engine and 722.117 box?
There are millions on google but none match my car and none have the colour coding of my car either - plus most are fuzzy.

thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom