250 CDI engine..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
My brother is looking to purchase a 2012/13 C250 CDI Sport Plus. Iv heard this particular engine has suffered with countless injector problems particularly on the earlier examples. Do you know if the issue had been fixed from 2012 onwards or is it an engine to avoid like the plague??

Both my 2013 and 2015 250 CDIs have been perfect. No worries with later cars as far as I know.

My 2013 S204 C250 CDI 4Matic has 240k kms and has no issues. Every 500 kms I do a 30+ mins trip to regen the DPF. Always using premium diesel and add 50ml of ERC Diesel plus every month.

Use Shell V-Power Diesel (VPD) for a couple of tank fills (say 1000 miles), then regular fuel from one of the major oil companies, with the occasional fill of VPD. I don't recommend using third party off the shelf additives, but then I'm biased.

The injector issues were sorted long before then.

They do have their common problems but there arent many models that dont.

- Water Pumps are pretty much a consumable on this engine
- Fuel Filter Housings Leak Coolant
- Boost Pipes Split and Boost Leaks are fairly common
- Torque Convertors can cause issues causing cutting out.
- Transmission Valve Chest/Electrical Conductor Plates cause issues. Can be refurbished.
- DPF issues as with all diesel cars nowadays
- Wiring to rear lights burns out. Minor job but common issue.

Thats just a brainstorm of the things we see day in day out.. Shouldnt put you off as all cars have common issues.

I keep mentioning the E350 CDI but he is against the idea. Am I right in thinking the V6 is much more reliable?

V6 is a much smoother engine in my opinion.
However much fewer around in C class form.

If you go for an E class then id say that the V6 is defintely more suited to the larger body.

The V6 has its own issues too:

- Turbo
- Intake Manifold Motors
- Oil Leaks from cooler in middle of V

So from a reliability point of view, its all much of a muchness. Just go with what suits your needs and buy from someone who will provide a decent warranty!

Personally I would avoid the 250....in my opinion a bit of a lemon. All the issues mentioned above and I've seen plenty with timing chain issues and even had one with 38,000 miles and a lack of compression.

I have a 2012 E250 cdi. 52000miles. Presently on way back from Spain for 4th year running. No problems with the engine at all. 50mpg average accurately measured. Often see 60mpg!

The 211 model v6 cdi had the problems mentioned by Mercland but my understanding was that the s212 model v6 cdi were much better? Very few complaints about this motor in this forum.

No problems for any 250 CDI owners I know. Can't say the same for 350 CDI owners though as the ones I know have mainly bee ok but 3 have had major issues with them.

These are all 2012 onwards cars though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom