250 cdi or 350 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickyd1991

Car
W204
Hi everyone

Im looking at getting a w204 c class or w212 E class, either the 250 cdi or 350 cdi.
My driving consists of very local school runs everyday, 3 x 40 minute round journeys a week, 1 x 2 hour round journeys a month and 2-3 big 2-4 hour drives for day trips/holidays per year such as disney paris, legoland, sussex to birmingham (cadbury world) etc

The 250 would be the better option on fuel/tax/insurance and performance wise is enough. But ive heard issues with timing chains on these om651 engines being a common reliability issue.
The 350 would be a better car for driving, nice sounding engine with whopping performance which will give me a smile on my face and ive not heard of any issues with these. They seem to be reliable.

The trade off with having a 350 is the extra costs to run it.
Would the 350 be the safe option in terms of reliability or would the 250 still be good and do me just fine?

Test drove a 220 but didnt give me that magic i wanted. Test drove a cls 350 and initially would prefer the c or e but the engine was beautiful to drive.

Decisions decisions

Thank you everyone

Hi everyone

Im looking at getting a w204 c class or w212 E class, either the 250 cdi or 350 cdi.
My driving consists of very local school runs everyday - maybe, but probably not, 3 x 40 minute round journeys a week, 1 x 2 hour round journeys a month and 2-3 big 2-4 hour drives for day trips/holidays per year such as disney paris, legoland, sussex to birmingham (cadbury world) etc

The 250 would be the better option on fuel/tax/insurance and performance wise is enough. But ive heard issues with timing chainson these om651 engines being a common reliability issue.
The 350 would be a better car for driving, nice sounding engine with whopping performance which will give me a smile on my face and ive not heard of any issues with these. They seem to be reliable.

Would the 350 be the safe option in terms of reliability or would the 250 still be good and do me just fine?

Test drove a 220 but didnt give me that magic i wanted. Test drove a cls 350 and initially would prefer the c or e but the engine was beautiful to drive.

Decisions decisions

Thank you everyone”
Hi everyone

My driving consists of very local school runs everyday, 3 x 40 minute round journeys a week, 1 x 2 hour round journeys a month and 2-3 big 2-4 hour drives for day trips/holidays per year such as disney paris, legoland, sussex to birmingham (cadbury world) etc

The 250 would be the better option on fuel/tax/insurance and performance wise is enough. But ive heard issues with timing chainson these om651 engines being a common reliability issue.

Decisions decisions

Thank you everyone

Everytime I get into the W204/250 am really surprised how good it is.

The W212/250 is a nice car and more than adequate. The 350 is exactly the same car but more power/torque and running costs.

The CLS is a fantastic drive and rides better than the W212. Never owned one but would hazard a guess it is the best of the 3 variants (for my needs).

If you have a small and young family plus live in a congested area then the C Class could be the most sensible?

Most people will say the "350" and I understand why. If you only have 1 car and can justify the 350 over a 250, go with the bigger engine.

Hi everyone

The 250 would be the better option on fuel/tax/insurance and performance wise is enough. But ive heard issues with timing chains on these om651 engines being a common reliability issue.

Decisions decisions

Thank you everyone
Do you really need a diesel? Your mileage doesn’t sound like it really justifies a diesel - diesels can do short journeys but they prefer to stretch their legs.

Do you really need a diesel? Your mileage doesn’t sound like it really justifies a diesel - diesels can do short journeys but they prefer to stretch their legs.
Well i currently have the 2.2 ctdi unit from honda which has been great, its good on fuel and for all the trips we have done its been worth having it as our petrol before that drank loads whilst being gutless.
Ive wanted MB all my life, I am addicted to the low end grunt but wanting more.
I also do quite a few night time drives around the downs as well (to get the kids to sleep)which again the old petrol would be drained of fuel going up the hills etc
So i think for me diesel is a must, until i can afford a tesla or something 😄

I have a 250 and cant fault it, plenty fast enough and very good economy , lets face it diesel is not going to get cheaper its £5.40 a gallon at the moment.

I love smiles per gallon as much as power and torque , I'm greedy and I want it all !

The most confusing part of the Ricky's opening post is he drove a CLS but would prefer a C or E Class !!!

I love smiles per gallon as much as power and torque , I'm greedy and I want it all !

The most confusing part of the Ricky's opening post is he drove a CLS but would prefer a C or E Class !!!
I was initially interested in the cls to start with so test drove one but my other half wasnt such a fan of the interior such as the wood trim. So we have agreed either an E or C 😀
I Personally dont mind the wood trim in the CLS.
We are in our 20s so i think its maybe too mature for her.

Ah I can see the point there .

I did really fancy a W124 AMG coupe back in the late 90's but it was too mature for me back then
61071b7f6100422ef5ce875255ccf92b.jpg

The CLS is actually an E !

2704773767.jpg

Ah I can see the point there .

I did really fancy a W124 AMG coupe back in the late 90's but it was too mature for me back then
View attachment 106928

The CLS is actually an E !

View attachment 106927
The w124 was where it started for me. So beautiful. My old man had a 4dr 230e with the AMG body and in this vibrant red, might of been the bmw red (zinnobaur) it was custom. Since then ive wanted MB all my life!
Dont see many of the w124s these days

I also got put off W124 by a certain heinous Paul driving a bright red ( prefer the metallic myself ) W124 coupe with blacked out windows .

I just got out of my car in a pub car park in a neighbouring county to enjoy a Sunday lunch when he was pulling up outside , saw me glaring and jogged on...

I have a c250 cdi. They are 204bhp I believe.. Its plenty fast enough. Have a drive in one. You will be surprised.

To be fair I haven't driven a 350 so cant compare but I don't think they will disappoint either. best to test drive and choose :)

This has been covered many times and really depends on what you want it for. I can give my view as a long term owner of E250cdi with manual gearbox. It is a bit agricultural on start but when upto a working temp and driving it is quiet, has a lot of power and covers miles with ease. By no means it is the fastest car on autobahn but is capable of very high speeds and I don't need to move away much for letting the faster cars pass me (350CDis, Audi 3.0TDIs, BMW 535d etc.). 350CDI is a faster and more torquie but it comes at a price. For me 250cdi was a in the middle of everything and I didn't regret it.

I’ve had the 350 predecessor, the 320 V6 for the last 9-10 years and 100k ....mother of God , what an engine . Still love driving it after all these years . It is just one relentless mile muncher with such incredible pick up .

I was initially interested in the cls to start with so test drove one but my other half wasnt such a fan of the interior such as the wood trim. So we have agreed either an E or C 😀
I Personally dont mind the wood trim in the CLS.
We are in our 20s so i think its maybe too mature for her.
Wouldn't say the interior of my CLS mine was too mature ;)
IMG_3947.jpeg

IMG_3948.jpegIMG_3947.jpegIMG_3948.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom