250 CGI performance and drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

connashio1

Car
W211 320CDI estate
Hi all,

Thanks to the Mayor planning to expand the ULEZ zone to include all of London in October 2023 my trusty W211 320 CDI will become obsolete. I've been looking at W212 models and the petrol 1.8 litre 250 CGI seems like it will have decent performance. 201 BHP is pretty much the same as my diesel and the torques at 3210Nm is less but not too far off. Just looking for feedback from those driving this model as to how it performs on the road. Parkers Guide review describes the engine as "lacklustre" and "struggles uphill with a full load".

Thanks, Paul

Not sure if it helps, but my S204 has the lower output version of the engine and I wouldn't call it "lacklustre".
OK it's no C63 but the performance is perfectly adequate for day to day motoring, even with a boot full of my work kit.
A lot depends on what you're used to; if you're coming from a diesel you'll probably notice a lack of low-end torque.
Just be aware with the CGI engined cars that prior to 2013 it was the infamous M271 lump with it's potential to eat itself.

Some of the earlier CGI engines are not E10 compatible too....so you would have to buy the more expensive Super type fuels to get E5...which will affect running costs. Not sure which ones are and the 250 might be OK...you need to check out the actual car you are looking to buy.

Hi all,

Thanks to the Mayor planning to expand the ULEZ zone to include all of London in October 2023 my trusty W211 320 CDI will become obsolete. I've been looking at W212 models and the petrol 1.8 litre 250 CGI seems like it will have decent performance. 201 BHP is pretty much the same as my diesel and the torques at 3210Nm is less but not too far off. Just looking for feedback from those driving this model as to how it performs on the road. Parkers Guide review describes the engine as "lacklustre" and "struggles uphill with a full load".

Thanks, Paul
3210nm of torque! Woah! 👀

just playing devils advocate but do you really need to change? How many days a week will you be driving into the zone? If your car owes you nothing and you are happy with it then why change? By that i mean, if its going to cost you £5,000 to change, just for the sake of not paying the ULEZ, only to have a new car to you that may need money spending on it etc. 5k is a lot of journeys in and out.
Obviously I fully accept the logic isnt fully flawless.
FWIW i just went the opposite way, sold a ULEZ compatible car and bought a non compatible one. Lots of people selling non compatible cars at the mo so bargains can be had, not so much the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom