250TD fan and water pump removal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tron

Car
S203 220CDI.
As far as I was concerned this morning, tracing the water loss to the pump was good news. Obviously I would have preferred it to be a dodgy O ring on the coolant tank cap but as it wasn't the head gasket, I was fairly happy.

Reality check. They put it together with Torx headed bolts. Order socket set for same.
I'll need to get the fan off. Ok, lock up the pulley and whack the nut.
OOps! My car doesn't seem to have one. The clutch is a close fit to the pulley and the expected 36mm nut isn't there.

Refer to German manual. Looks as though there is only an Allen bolt to remove and the fan assembly comes off.
Is this the case, please?
The Haynes requires me to set no 1 cylinder to TDC and remove the TDC sensor. Is this right for the M605 engine?
Pardon my ignorance but even allowing for two manuals, this job looks to have potential hidden problems so I would like to know what I am letting myself in for.
Thank you for any advice.

Hi the Allen key is in centre of fan can't remember size but hard to get into use a Allen key socket and bar I.very tight to radiator .i think I cut down Allen key socket in the end good luck

do not know the year and mileage but look to change the hydrolic piston which is their in faclift model to improve engine vibration since u r doing the job

Well, it is all done. Encyclopaedia Mendacaea wasn't much help! The long 8mm Allen key was, together with a 6mm bolt that was bent in two to make a locking pin in the pump flange. Put it back together in an hour and forty minutes and the heater works, the temperature is normal and the water level is, I hope, constant. Time will tell. Trip home to France next week so hoover and polish for the rest of this week before loading it up with stuff to take over and make some space in the garage...

For reference to anyone buying a new water pump for their 605 engined car: just got a water pump delivered from Germany for £64. Make is SKF and unlike the 1997 original manufacturer's part it has a metal impeller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom