255 / 18 / 40 Y MO Contis Such a variance

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by DSLiverpool, Jan 3, 2009.

1. DSLiverpool

DSLiverpool Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
    These are for the front of the CLS and MB want £500 a pair after haggling, general Kwik Fit want £415 (exact spec) and our local reputable discounter wants £350

HOW can they vary so much ???? I would prefer to get MB to do them as I am kinda **** like that but a saving of £150 is serious money

What do you guys think ?

2. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Tyres are tyres .....

If they are the same make , model , size , spec , why would you want to give someone £150 more for them ? :confused:

3. rf065

rf065 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
  4. BIGjoe

BIGjoe Active Member

Its highly unlikly the Merc Dealer will actually fit the tyres, they'll sub it out to the local reputable tyre man, and cream off the difference :D
    In the past whilst waiting for different cars to be serviced, I've seen local tyre fitter vans load 4 wheel and tyres rermoved from a car on the lift (not mine), returning later all shod with new rubber.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  5. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
  6. rf065

Car:
  7. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
  8. rf065

Car:
  9. OP
    OP
    DSLiverpool

Car:
    Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
    Im very obsessive (cant use anl cos it stars out) and would want the tyres as MB decreed and they even have to be MO spec. I wont get any more come sell on but I feel good in myself !!!

I will keep it for 12 months from now and look for a nice CL over the next year

10. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    No , just the tyres ....

I've always bunged my local tyre guy a 'drink' for him to fit them , never cost me more than £20 ...

11. rf065

Car:

The only problem with that is that MO spec does not mean they are any better than a tyre that is not MO spec.

I bought MO Bridgstone Potenzas to replace the MO Conti's on mine, and they are not as good a tyre. I've now got Goodyear F1 GSD3's which are not MO spec but are better than both the Contis & the Bridgestones.

I can see your point, but, fitting MO spec tyres because MB fit them, guarantees nothing in reality.
    (Goodyear have just taken Continental to the advertising standards for claiming the Conti had a shorter braking distance than the F1's, Conti have agreed to stop using the advert as a result)

Russ

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  12. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    oops my bad!

13. rf065

Car:

On the plus side, their winter tyres are the cheapest I've saw advertised anywhere. :) :) :)

Russ

14. OP
    OP
    DSLiverpool

Car:
    Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
    RF065 - its such a handful on worn tyres (even on new tyres lol) that I dont want to risk it and I dont think the MO cost is significant over the none MO. I have a balance issue at legal + 25 that needs sorting as well so I will probably go to the quality indie and get the front track checked as well as the inners have worn slightly ahead of the outers on both (probably normal)

15. timskemp

timskemp Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 E220d
    Heh - that's what I like to hear! Even us lesser mortals with diseasel power understand the feeling of tyres being past their best.

Be careful where you get the alignment checked, they are very very adjustable and most places look at toe correction only - the camber and castor is adjustable on them too and inner only wear could be camber adjustment.

16. OP
    OP
    DSLiverpool

Car:
    Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
    Any MB garage guys know where you get your tyres from as the "we cant buy them for that" answer to my plea seems unreal (Cant spell ludicrous)

I actually think £155 each is a bargain for the MO contis and will happily pay it BUT why cant I pay say £175 to a dealer how much margin do they need to take it to Kwik Fit or whatever

17. OP
    OP
    DSLiverpool

Car:
    Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
    Deal done at £182 + vat, not the cheapest but Im happy with the quality of fitters

18. SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    i just used etyres for my new tyres. Very good and i'd always use them again if the price is right. I saved about £40 i think on the two tyres i bought. I'm sure Kwikfit will match prices anyway if you can proove quotes online.

19. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    Have you had them fitted - all OK? I'd be keen to know for future reference who you use.

Mine came new with Bridgestone Turanza's but there's nothing on them to say they're MO.
    I replaced with Michelin Primacy HP's and they don't do MO in the rear size so seemed pointless using MO at all.

MB Chester quoted me for 2 tyres noted during a service as needing replacement. I knew they were worn and had already got prices - when the service advisor gave me their price I was pleasantly surprised that it was a little bit cheaper...then he said "each"!! They wanted just under £200 for tyres I could get from several sources for around £100. The guys immediate response was "I can't buy them for that". :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  20. Beetnik

Beetnik Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo V60 2.4 bi-turbo: SLK 200
    Continental Sport Contact 3 (MO) £190.65 each (inc VAT) fitted at Black Circles.