26" Televison advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
My Dad is looking to replace his aging telly. He would like a 26" LCD. He has a budget of around £350 and very much likes the idea that John Lewis offer a 5 year warranty. I have been appointed the task of finding the best for the money. He isn't really bothered about the amount of HDMI sockets, but would like it to have a SCART socket- (he still has VHS vids!!)
What do you lot think/suggest?

Tv

Have used Sony for many years with no problems! Have two 26" and for picture quality much prefer them to the 32"and 42".

I have a Bravia 40" myself which I am pretty happy with. I wonder if a Sony 26" would be good for Dad.

Think both Sony & Panasonic offer 5yr guarantees

I always buy TV's from John Lewis. The 5 year free guarantee is great. Let's face it with the advances in technology and the way prices are going you probaly change your Tv within 5 years so you are always covered.

Can't recommend a particular TV but it has got to be a great time for him to get a bargain!!

I always bought Panasonic, either that or Sony and you can't go wrong.

Some cracking deals in Tesco on either of those makes.

26" is our second TV (our main one still a 32" Panasonic CRT)..

A word to the wise- modern EPG 'S -ELECTRONIC PROGRAMME GUIDES cram a lot of information on the screen. For people with any form of visual impairment this can mean the letters/numbers of channel/programme details can be hard to read. For that reason I would recommend at least a 32" LCD You won't go far wrong with a SONY OR PANASONIC but make sure that "bargain price" model isn't several models out of date!

I always go for Samsung, have done for years now and the picture and sound quality is excellent as is the cosmetic finish on them.

If he is replacing a CRT 26" telly with an LCD then I would suggest he actually look at a 32" LCD.

Best option is to pop along to a comet and have a look -although side by side you really wont get a size appreciation for a 32".

Comet have pleant of offers on and there are a few discount codes flying around the forums as well.

Also look a Richer Sounds they some specials also.

If he is replacing a CRT 26" telly with an LCD then I would suggest he actually look at a 32" LCD.
Good advice. Also, if dad watches footy or other sport programmes then make sure you watch that sort of material when you decide what to buy, otherwise he may be very disappointed with his new LCD telly. Both Panasonic and Sony have motion blur largely cracked with LCD's. Some other manufacturers don't.

I agree in getting a 32". I'm sure they can be had for £350
Just saw a Sony Bravia 40V4000 for £499 at JL but they have just increased it to £599.

Have just had this very same dilemma for my parents, did loads of research and ended up buying the LG, definitely best picture/features for your budget (was same budget as me:) )

We have a Panasonic in the lounge & Samsung in the bedroom, both give an excellent picture, samsung is the cheaper thou

dave

LG/ Philips ranks with Samsung as a leader in the production of LCD displays 22% each in 2006. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Display and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-LCD altho SONY appear to be woo-ing Sharp now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Corporation
Hot off the press tho is that Panasonic [ widely acknowledged to be the best volume plasma screen manufacturer- they will be making PIONEERS plasma screens in the near future) are buying SANYO On November 3, 2008 Panasonic and Sanyo have come to an agreement, and Panasonic will be buying up Sanyo. The actual act should be completed by April 2009, and will result in one mega-corporation with revenues over ¥11.2 trillion (around $110 billion). Following this is a bit like watching Japanese Shoguns battling for supremacy with ever changing alliances where foes become friends and former allies arch enemies.

I digress :eek: :eek:

Suffice to say LG or Sanyo make good LCD screens also and their brand tends to be cheaper than the market leaders. However altho the screen quality is important the drive electronics/ tuner is important and Sony /PANASONIC still have the edge IHMO. If finance is a consideration than SANYO or LG will give very good results but make sure you get the shop to demonstrate the unit with the type of signal your dad will watch the most - probably digital terrestrial freeview. You may be shocked at how the picture degrades on some sets in comparison to the computer/dvd generated HD signal on regular display.

Thanks for all your replies-Very informative as usual:D I think I will need to help my dad 'measure up' again and distort the truth and tell him a 32" would be perfect for him and that it would be a similar price to a 26" telly. I will also have to be very tactful and tell him gently that "for goodness sake Father you are almost 76 years old and turning into a blind, doddery old git and need a big telly" so as he can read the EPG.

In Tesco today, they had 32" Sony Bravia HD LCD TV's for £349.99. Along with some other known brands, this one seemed like a steal though. Stacks of them available.

It was this one, so the more technically literate amoung us can say if it's good or not...(just a flat TV to me!):-

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-3203.aspx

Last edited:
In Tesco today, they had 32" Sony Bravia HD LCD TV's for £349.99. Along with some other known brands, this one seemed like a steal though. Stacks of them available.

It was this one, so the more technically literate amoung us can say if it's good or not...(just a flat TV to me!):-

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-3203.aspx

Its only a 50 hz model .......not a brilliant picture but ideal for a bedroom -- perhaps

Totally agree with others who say go for a 32". Its the smallest size anyone should use as their main TV. Its also worthwhile going the extra yard and buying a 100Hz model. A much clearer picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom