260E - Driving position problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bosco

Car
260E Auto
I just got myself a 260E and aside from a couple of little jobs required I'm delighted with it.
However one unexpected problem has cropped up. I'm average height 5'10" and no matter how much adjusting I do with the seat I cannot see the upper half of the instrument panel. The speedo above about 60kph and the green indicator arrows are obscured by the steering wheel. I'm forever forgetting to cancel my indicators as they are so quite especially on motorways. This is driving me nuts. I would have expected a car like this to have steering wheel adjustment but if it has, it's very well hidden. Have I missed something? Is there a solution to this issue other than reclining the driver seat and driving using a periscope?

It's just one of the w124's little quirks.

The indicator stalk has 2 stages, 1 where you can hold it it postion for changing lanes ect (like the headlight flash), and 2 where it will lock into postion for junctions ect.

You can raise & lower the squab and also adjust the rake of it. I'd lower the seat and see if that helps

Nick Froome

I adjusted the seat every possible way. If I lower the squab too much I lose support under my thighs which is quite uncomfortable.

I can see how I missed this detail in the excitement of buying the car but I cannot understand how such a design flaw was allowed into production. It's downright dangerous. I can't see my speed at a glance and indicators on a the wrong time could cause an acccident.

Bruno Sacco, Joseph Gallitzendrfer or Peter Pfeiffer dropped the design ball big time IMHO

Edit - Yes I was peeved enough to go and find out who the designers were. :)

Last edited:
Do you have the smaller 390mm steering wheel? If you have then going to the 400mm might help a bit. Im not as tall as you but the 390mm on mine obscures some of the speedo and the fuel gauge.

:DI have the same problem but have got used to it and I can at least see the the bottom of the speedo needle and the angle tells me if I am going to fast

Do you have the smaller 390mm steering wheel? If you have then going to the 400mm might help a bit. Im not as tall as you but the 390mm on mine obscures some of the speedo and the fuel gauge.
You are dead right about the wheel it is the 390mm and I'm considering getting a new one as it's pretty worn as is the gear knob.

Heads off to eBay...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom