270 CDi remap..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carrsey

Car
E280 CDi Avantgarde
As mentioned in a few of my previous posts i am due to pick up my CLK270 at the start of the new year and one thing on my shopping list is a remap, so hopefuly a few more ponies and slight improvement in mpg, win win..

So has anyone got any experience with the above, was it worth it, any issues caused etc...

A buddy of mine at Sparks and Sensors fits - Quantum Advanced Soft Ware.

Once I keep a car long enough Ill have an upgrade done. I have spoken to his customers after fitment and they think it is well worth the expense.

Sorry I have no personal experience of the upgrade in my own cars.

A buddy of mine at Sparks and Sensors fits - Quantum Advanced Soft Ware.

Once I keep a car long enough Ill have an upgrade done. I have spoken to his customers after fitment and they think it is well worth the expense.

Sorry I have no personal experience of the upgrade in my own cars.

My garage that i use do the Quantum so could be the one..

be interested to hear. I have an old ML270cdi and was wondering about the remap, can't help but think that the fuel savings would be lost in the increased insurance premium.... Anyone with experience to refute this theory, please speak up now!

Anyone with experience to refute this theory, please speak up now!

I have never ever seen anyone prove that a remap gave better MPG, lots of anecdotal stories, but never any convincing evidence.

Russ

Improvement in performance, yes, no problem. Improvement in mpg, no chance. Change your driving style.

Strange, because I have seen gains in mpg on previous cars that have had mild remaps. Don't get me wrong we are not talking massive gains and if you are using the extra power all the time you will use more fuel, but on normal running around normally see 10%ish.

Strange, because I have seen gains in mpg on previous cars that have had mild remaps. Don't get me wrong we are not talking massive gains and if you are using the extra power all the time you will use more fuel, but on normal running around normally see 10%ish.

How was this measured and can you prove it?

Russ

I have read several times now that when the engine is remapped, it changes the onboard computer readings re MPG.
So dont go off what the dash display is saying..
You would need to do it the old way (write down the miles done and devide by the gallons used) and do it over a medium term..

How was this measured and can you prove it?

Russ

It was never very scientific, just simply seeing how many miles i got to a tank full, work it out on a bit of paper and what the on board computer said and all three methods came to similar results. Short of taking the engine out and bench running it this is about the best that can be done.

The guy who does my tunning etc (who is also a friend) has no reason to lie about it as the majority of his customers are all about the performance not the mpg. I have also heard him say to a number of customers who arent sure about what is claimed, i will put it on, go and run it for a few weeks and if your not happy i will remove it and give you your money back.. So he is pretty sure it does what it says..

As for can i prove it, well in short no, but then im not selling you a map and couldn't realy care who believes it, all i know is i have always been happy with the results gained so no need to prove anything to anyone..:thumb:

all i know is i have always been happy with the results gained so no need to prove anything to anyone..:thumb:

Unless you make a factual statement.

What you really need to do is blind, random testing with a decent size group and control group.

A few years ago, one of the monthly motor mags said next months edition would show you how to get extra power and more mpg by remapping your car.

A month later, the mag carries a 2 or 3 page spread with all sorts of performance tests and graphs showing how the car had more power, acceleration etc etc. More MPG was covered in the very last sentence, "we did not see any improvement in MPG figures but are sure it should be possible".

Russ

A lot of hauliers are now remaping their fleets to save fuel, im sure if it didnt work they would not be spending the money in the first place. The guy that does mine has just got a contract to remap 40 odd trucks for a guy, he is happy to pay £500 per truck, would he do that if he was not going to get a good return, i think not..

The thing is with mapping, it is callabrated for the needs of the user. If you want nothing but pure power then yes, there will be no increase in mpg but there are maps for just economy or a mix of both..

A lot of hauliers are now remaping their fleets to save fuel, im sure if it didnt work they would not be spending the money in the first place. The guy that does mine has just got a contract to remap 40 odd trucks for a guy, he is happy to pay £500 per truck, would he do that if he was not going to get a good return, i think not..

The thing is with mapping, it is callabrated for the needs of the user. If you want nothing but pure power then yes, there will be no increase in mpg but there are maps for just economy or a mix of both..

All mapping does is increase fuel delivery, but lorry drivers may be of a mindset to use the additional torque to the advantage, however, it's also worth noting that the remap may remove the speed limiter on many lorries...

All mapping does is increase fuel delivery, but lorry drivers may be of a mindset to use the additional torque to the advantage, however, it's also worth noting that the remap may remove the speed limiter on many lorries...

Not sure you would get an extra 50-60bhp from just adding a little extra fuel, there is a little more to it..

Not sure you would get an extra 50-60bhp from just adding a little extra fuel, there is a little more to it..

Like what?
Adding fuel is what makes torque on a diesel engine.

Like what?
Adding fuel is what makes torque on a diesel engine.

Well the main thing on a turbo car is boost levels which is why you get much bigger gains than on a NA car. It has all been explained to me a number of times but most of it goes over my head. But basicaly a good mapper can alter all and any settings in the ecu so you can choose where and how the power is delivered.. Some will like it smooth where some will prefer aggressive, you may want low down power or top end.

Obviously with a generic map its all a bit limited but on a live map it is fully done to suit the driver..

A turbo can't deliver more boost unless there is sufficient fuel to increase the combustion temperature and resultant gas expansion.

Fuel is everything on a diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom