27mm socket - what is nearest size in imperial measurements?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

I've got to get a 27mm socket.

Anyone know whats the socket size in imperial measurement?

thanks

derek

Ermm - I'm sure they're will be a close match, but is it worth the risk?

Can't you just buy a fairly-ok quality cheapish socket of the correct size?

Shouldn't be expensive.

Is this for the crank pulley or something?

Will

Ermm - I'm sure they're will be a close match, but is it worth the risk?

Can't you just buy a fairly-ok quality cheapish socket of the correct size?

Shouldn't be expensive.

Is this for the crank pulley or something?

Will

yeah. my mate has a toolbox full of sockets so i just wondered if those would be a perfect fit if i got the right size.

otherwise Halfords sell them for £5 so i'll just get one of those....

For a fiver I wouldn't risk it!

Will

I think it would be a 1' 1/16th...this would be fractionally smaller, if my maths is right :)

I think it would be a 1' 1/16th...this would be fractionally smaller, if my maths is right :)

That would be a very snug fit at 26.99mm, so if it would go on would be a good one to use.

Last edited:

yep thats right, it is only 13 microns out, or 0.013 of a millimetre or half a thou in old money, which is considerably less than the tolerance of a socket at this size so you will be ok, if you can find a 1 ` 1/16th socket...

Derek,

You are making really heavy weather of the easy bits of this job, and you're skimping where there's no need to.

You're already saving over £150 compared with getting a garage to do this work, so a few quid on a socket isn't worth the hassle - especially as the crank bolt is one of the tightest on the car!

His friend already has a host of imperial sockets, so if one fits he might as well use it for a one off job.

The imperial socket in an old tool box probably stems from an era when tools were made to last and will therefore not snap when it is under load - unlike some of the cheap stuff today.

His friend already has a host of imperial sockets, so if one fits he might as well use it for a one off job.

this is what i figured. if one is a perfect fit (or maybe if he has the one mentioned above) a better fit, then surly its worth it - possibly better than a new one???

the sockets he has are good quality made years ago when things were engineered to last (hopefully!)

if he hasnt got the one mentioned above, i'll buy a new 27mm.

thanks for the help

Is it the 27mm injector deep socket you are after???

dont think so - its for a crankshaft bolt. I assume a normal socket would fit.

Halfords sell both - maybe a deep one is best for this job thinking about it due to the dish-shape of the pully?

Fair enough if the socket is of good quality and is a better than normal fit (ie 26.99mm).

But you know where I'm coming from - cowboy bodgers using any old socket that fits (ie normally 1/2mm too big etc), causing nuts to be rounded off, etc.

Just for something like a crank pulley I wouldn't want people to cause a problem. Fortunately it seems Derek has hopefully got this sorted though :)

Will

i certainly wouldnt use any old socket that roughly fitted. Hence why i started the thread.

i certainly wouldnt use any old socket that roughly fitted. Hence why i started the thread.

Yes, but that wasn't 100% obvious at the start, and I bet there are many people out there who would :crazy:

Will

maybe a deep one is best for this job thinking about it due to the dish-shape of the pully?

Space is tight and you need a lot of leverage so a shallow socket is best if it will clear the pulley, which I'm sure it will.

Space is tight and you need a lot of leverage so a shallow socket is best if it will clear the pulley, which I'm sure it will.

i know my extendable socket wrench will as it has like a curvey bit at the end.

i'm not sure about the torque wrench though as it dead straight. i've got a small extension bar though.

I agree - never been a problem using a regular depth shallow 27mm socket on the MBs I have worked on.

If you need a little extra length to clear the pulley for whatever reason, use a very small extension.

Will

Derek

How you planning to lock the engine/stop it turning ?????????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom