280se

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thats what i was thinking about the seats, The w116 was the car that got me into Mercedes, Also i thought these were only 3 spd ? That looks lovely!!

Last edited:
merc85 said:
Thats what i was thinking about the seats, The w116 was the car that got me into Mercedes, Also i thought these were only 3 spd ? That looks lovely!!

I think it would of had green velour originally? Judging by the carpet colour?

I think it would look better with Mexican hat wheels but I'm unsure about the colour? I can't tell if I actually love or hate it!

Its a job to see but i think the door cards match, I understand what you are saying tho.

I like the steel hub caps but alloys would also look right. Its a good job i haven't a spare 2k floating around lol id be tempted to have a look.

My guess is that the original velour seats have been professionally retrimmed at some point.

My dad had one and I'm pretty sure it was 4 speed (always used to start off in 2nd though, unless you floored it - just like my 124 in fact!)

What's your opinions on this car guys?

I love it. Certainly worth a visit to give it a drive and close look over. I love the colour and the interior. If I sit back and close my eyes, I can see me wafting around the country lanes in this.......Stop it..Stop it...Stop it.

Well I've tried calling but his phone just goes dead.

I've sent an email, I'll await a reply and possibly view depending on mot history and service records.

Gunning. I know you know ;^)

A car of this age could have very little history or bags of it. My fully restored 124 had/has virtually nothing apart from MOT's and they do not really tell us a great deal.

My personal position would be go and see it, drive it and feel it. Look under the seats and carpets etc. A well looked after car usually has a well looked after feel about it that you can almost sense. He hints that this may have been or is, a 'show car' that could be prove interesting? Show cars can be cars that have been to shows or cars that have won shows. But usually are cars where the owner has an interest to take it to shows.

The pictures look honest enough and to me show a good looking example. Like I say I would be tempted to get over there and drive it.

Good luck I do hope it works out.

I like the unusually cheerful colour and wacky interior too. These cars can look very sinister in dark colours: this one reminds me of a benevolent Moby **** with a summer tan.

There is some hyperbole in the brief advert e.g "Bodywork is in excellent condition..." when you can see rust bubbles at the bottom of the O/S rear door and the sills have been sprayed yellow which might suggest rust repair. But the BIN is only £2750 so perhaps it is excellent in the context of the low purchase price: w116 cars are now relatively rare and the prices ought to be rising. It's probably worth the BIN on the basis of having an MoT let alone one with "no advisories." The high-level brake light on the rear screen suggests it was getting some use in the late 1990s! Also has a sunroof so I'd suggest opening that and checking for rust...

Why do some people hide the registration plate number? If you wanted to fradulently apply for the v5 you'd need the VIN anyway and that sure ain't visible.

Last edited:
brucemillar said:
Gunning. I know you know ;^) A car of this age could have very little history or bags of it. My fully restored 124 had/has virtually nothing apart from MOT's and they do not really tell us a great deal. My personal position would be go and see it, drive it and feel it. Look under the seats and carpets etc. A well looked after car usually has a well looked after feel about it that you can almost sense. He hints that this may have been or is, a 'show car' that could be prove interesting? Show cars can be cars that have been to shows or cars that have won shows. But usually are cars where the owner has an interest to take it to shows. The pictures look honest enough and to me show a good looking example. Like I say I would be tempted to get over there and drive it. Good luck I do hope it works out.

Very true Bruce, I always anticipate work to be done, I'm not fussed about having a v8... I love the shape of it more than anything.

I think I'll go have a look, pointless trying to guess a cars condition of that age from a few photos.

Seats have been retrimmed. Original cloth would be chequered (photo below) - almost certainly not velour as they have tried to match the pattern. 280 had 4 speed auto (722.1), the 6.9 had a 3 speed (722.003) and the other V8s 3 speed (722.002).

s-l1600.jpg

Charles Morgan said:
Seats have been retrimmed. Original cloth would be chequered (photo below) - almost certainly not velour as they have tried to match the pattern. 280 had 4 speed auto (722.1), the 6.9 had a 3 speed (722.003) and the other V8s 3 speed (722.002).

Great info there Charles, much appreciated!

My next question see where the centre console meets the dash and the change in colour... again I don't believe this is right? Have they done it to match leather on the seats or is it meant to be like that?

The dash is green top and bottom, the console black. I can't find any photos to suggest that consoles are a different colour to the dash, but that doesn't mean that there aren't. The seat bolsters are in vinyl - they look blackish but from the side they are green so they look original (if dirty).

Those consoles are prone to brittleness, so may have been replaced at some point, radio is non period. I wouldn't assume it's a bitsa yet.

Last edited:
Found this interior of a 79 280S on Car and Classic. Same green trim, console looks green not black.

8735531.jpg

But on this 78 car the console looks black while the rest is blue.

8982504.jpg

I personally think it's non original, it's quite a standout item. Not the end of the world, I'm more concerned with any rust issues and how it drives.

I happen to be in Bristol on business this Saturday so hopefully he's around!

tali said:
Reminds me of this 1 owner 420-i've never seen a w126 with this type of interior.#holygrail

Is that the split dash one, for sale with 26,000 (ish miles) that keep cropping up? Crazy interior, I wonder if it's just faded?

Is that the split dash one, for sale with 26,000 (ish miles) that keep cropping up? Crazy interior, I wonder if it's just faded?

^ this. It's faded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom