280SL transmission issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

currycowboy

Car
Ml 270
Hi have a 280SL in that I am valeting for a customer. It is an automatic transmission and seems to be holding gears for too long and then when it just change it is rather aggressive. Any ideas what the issue may be. I am in Spain and just trying to help a fellow brit out as the mechanics here are not all that. Didn't know if it is a regular issue with low/old oil etc or something more sinister. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Hi have a 280SL in that I am valeting for a customer. It is an automatic transmission and seems to be holding gears for too long and then when it just change it is rather aggressive. Any ideas what the issue may be. I am in Spain and just trying to help a fellow brit out as the mechanics here are not all that. Didn't know if it is a regular issue with low/old oil etc or something more sinister. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

should have read :- when it does change it is rather aggressive... couldn't edit original post. No pointers yet?

Presuming this is an 80's R107???

First thing is to check the fluid level. Engine at running temp, in Park on level ground with engine running. Run it through the gears a couple of times then back to park. A fluid and filter change never hurts if it's not been done for a while.

Check the vacuum pipe to the modulator from the manifold. The modulator is the (probably) orange/red capsule on the left side of the gearbox central above the sump flange. Lack of vacuum to this or if it's faulty causes harsh changes. Make sure the joining rubbers are not split especially where the pipe joins the manifold nor any visible cracks in the capsule.
Lastly the pull linkage on the throttle mech needs to be adjusted so there is no pre-tension nor any slack. This is the lever system that eventually pulls on a cable which goes down to the box.

Edit. Poor pic but this is the modulator just ahead of the shift lever.

This is the early version (top) and the modified later W126 replacement if the mod is faulty.

Last edited:
You Sir Druk, are a gentleman. Thank you. will look at that tomorrow. Her indoors will get the **** ache if I play cars on Xmas day!!!

ps. where is the fluid level check for transmission on these? And yes is R107 early 80's. will put pic up later in its' sad state and one when I have finished with it.

Last edited:
Welcome. Gearbox dipstick is left rear of engine. Has a red cap with a black plastic lock that swings forward to release.

Thanks for that. Engine bay looks tidy in yours? What did you use to clean rocker cover?

~Cheers. It was soda blasted then fine wire wool. The stainless dome nuts help the look.

However...that was then...this is now

Bye-bye nasty old no-power petrol. Hello smelly polluting but lots of ooomph 40+ mpg diesel.

Do I care? Not a jot!

Last edited:
It's an OM606 out of a W124 (IIRC), fitted with a super turbo with Getrag manual replacing the original M110 and auto. One of the most amazing conversions I've seen, beautifully engineered and fabricated, with numerous challenges to get done. Druk brought it to Bicester last year and we had a chance to view it on a ramp. Just don't ever be behind it on the road when he floors it at full boost!

Druk is one of the finest engineers I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I really appreciate good engineering and Druk is a grand master of the art. Makes me look amateur league at best.

Druk is one of the finest engineers I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I really appreciate good engineering and Druk is a grand master of the art. Makes me look amateur league at best.

Possibly the greatest engineer since Casey Jones :D

It's an OM606 out of a W124 (IIRC), fitted with a super turbo with Getrag manual replacing the original M110 and auto. One of the most amazing conversions I've seen, beautifully engineered and fabricated, with numerous challenges to get done. Druk brought it to Bicester last year and we had a chance to view it on a ramp. Just don't ever be behind it on the road when he floors it at full boost!

Nearly right Charles. It's a 606 turbo from a W210 but with a superpump from a 124. Other than that you got it all right :cool::D

Possibly the greatest engineer since Casey Jones :D

Hahaha :D:D:D. A steam whistle....now there's an idea :rock:

Last edited:
Derek. If you need any help just give me a shout. Got my bucket of builders tools to hand. :D

For some reason I thought it came out of Trapperjohn's self igniting 124. Silly me.

For some reason I thought it came out of Trapperjohn's self igniting 124. Silly me.

That was the original concept but due to external circumstances of which TJ is aware I couldn't use his engine. It did become the injection pump donor however + a multitude of small useful parts.

oil

well having checked, there is way too much oil been put in the transmission. The customer told me they have only just had it serviced. It is over a centimetre above the fill mark whatever that transponds to in litres?????? I assume that could be an issue on more than one level. ? Good way to blow some seals the worst way at a guess..........
Looks like the Spanish mechanic wasn't paying too much attention, then there was that awkward moment when the customer told me he had used an english mechanic out here. Well at least he didn't tell me he had done it himself :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom