29mgp from my 5.5!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had an average of 28mpg our of my 5.5 litre S500L over the last 8,000 miles.

Full range of driving: town, country, motorway. These engines are incredible.

Hey chaps, let's not get confused here. The S500L is just a bog standard 380 bhp V8 - not only NOT an AMG or the later bi-turbo E63 V8.

Was just meaning to say that the earlier cooking bitter V8 carrying 2 1/4 tonnes (sic) gets an average 28mpg.

Completely different driving style, no foot to the floor stuff at all.....

Your 29 mpg is great - in a decade it's almost half the fuel consumption of the E55 I had a decade before.

I regularly get 28-30 on a Mway/B road run. Took the CLS63 up to Scotland in August and after 435 miles, doing an average speed of 59mph, sitting at 75/80 most of the way I got 31.6, which is pretty decent IMO for 5.5l bi-turbo battle bus[emoji12][emoji592][emoji95][emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's impressive for that engine, and at a reasonable real world, average motorway speed not some false 56.5mph.

My Av since ownership is lower, but I do 'enjoy' it and the noise quite often... :cool:

Yes i agree, but of course we don’t buy these cars because of their efficiency[emoji23]
The noise is simply staggering when booted. My R35 GTR sounded cool, but an AMG V8 is just the best[emoji592][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In September in the CL did nearly 3000 miles in France,Italy and Switzerland Averaged 25mpg.

I did a recent trip up north and my CL500 4.7 TT was showing 36.5mpg.

I nearly fell off the seat as I don't normally have mpg showing.

Funny isn't it? We buy expensive high performance cars and worry about consumption. I have to admit I do observe mine but, it does not affect how I drive. On long trips I easily (i.e. not trying) get over 30mpg because it is motorways and in C or CV mode and does a lot of 'coasting' once the batteries are fully charged. Around where I live....well I'll keep that to myself ;)

that's super impressive. I reached 29.5mpg once on a mixed drive with motorway and traffic but unfortunately my right foot got really tired at the end and it dropped to 28. that's with only 4 litres rather than 5.5 liters. so it's an amazing achievement to top 29mpg.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181112-215759_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20181112-215759_WhatsApp.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 12
I'm afraid I don't know what my fuel consumption would be if sticking to all speed limits. :D

I just wanted to point out the I use super unleaded, which has a bearing on efficiency. Using regular fuel the mpg would be a lot lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom