29mgp from my 5.5!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My 5.4 seems to be doing about 17mpg average but I don't do much motorway driving these days. Best I've had out of it was 27.6, it was hardly a long journey but it was mostly 40mph A road a bit of motorway and dual carriageway at 70mph plus a trip through the tunnel at Dartford, can't complain to much she does have over 225000 on her now and she aint no spring chicken!!

2018-08-19 21.37.07.jpg

Well it looks like great fuel consumption,but I have always been a little sceptical about the on board computer,the way I have always checked the fuel consumption is to use my local garage and fill the car until the pump spout clicks off,I then run the car and then on the same pump do the same fill and then get the calculator out and work out what I have use against the distance travelled.

I damaged my engine undertray of my 2005 CLS55 the other week and had to limp along at around 55mph on the motorway to get home...Photo shows 31.0 but it actually went up to 31.7mph :-O Probably won't be getting that ever again....

Attachments

• IMG_2950 (1).jpg
    IMG_2950 (1).jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 12
I damaged my engine undertray of my 2005 CLS55 the other week and had to limp along at around 55mph on the motorway to get home...Photo shows 31.0 but it actually went up to 31.7mph :-O Probably won't be getting that ever again....

That's not an accurate reading though as it's just motorway miles for a short trip. I saw 45mpg with that method once

That's not an accurate reading though as it's just motorway miles for a short trip. I saw 45mpg with that method once
It is what it is, an average on a motorway journey of around 30 miles. I never thought it would be possible to get anywhere near that in a CLS55 and I very much doubt I could ever get anything significantly more in any scenario. 45mpg, in my car, would be impossible over any meaningful distance, whatever the circumstances.

I'm currently averaging 19mpg according to the car in a cls55. I'm suspicious of that figure though as I suspect it's optimistic. I never expected any different to be honest, despite being my first v8 and Merc, my research suggested that my type and distance of driving would yield these figures. I've seen 24mpg on a 2hr motorway haul with some spirited bursts included.......

My only disappointment is that I very rarely get to use the full capability of this car but good lord, a long lazy stretch on the throttle, right through the rev range in 3rd produces a biblical symphony of v8 roar that makes every pound spent on fuelling the beast worth it...... :) I'd only be concerned with my mpg if it dropped low unexpectedly, potentially indicating an issue.

I never intended for this car to be a daily when I bought it but I really can't stop myself driving it. Stings a little compared to the Volvo when covering 250 miles a week but the smiles are worth it!;)

My cls 55k has seen 28 at 70 on a 100 mile run trying to see what it might be able to do. Long term average is 18 due to spending far too much time in the Hindhead tunnel.

Long term my CLS55 returns a touch over 20 average (mid teens around the houses and 25/26 on a motorway run) according to the car....I'm pretty light footed though, most of the time.

df38d009393b00874cc5f2a217389020.jpg

Not bad for my Battle Bus[emoji592][emoji95][emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Round trip leics to stoke and averaged 30mpg and I wasn’t driving miss daisy either

I did manage 26mpg from my CLS which I don’t think is too bad but was a traffic free, lift footed motorway run.

Let’s face it, you’re never going to see big mpg from a V8 but nice to know they don’t always try and pull your pants down at the petrol station haha

what-will-it-take-to-kill-this-thread.jpg

A years supply of 99 V-Power[emoji592][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No chance. You lot will spend it all on trying to get as many miles out of it as possible.

:devil:

No chance. You lot will spend it all on trying to get as many miles out of it as possible.

:devil:
I don't try and "hypermile" my E55, in fact my 17mpg average goes up to about 19mpg if I happen to be working a shift that has me commuting at busier times than 5am so I'm not exactly driving it gently. I think you'll find most people posting here don't really care to much but it's interesting to see what the cars do vs what the manufacturers say, I was surprised mine could hit 26mpg, last 350bhp 5L V8 I owned was lucky to do 11, but it was an old pushrod Ford lump.:rolleyes:

I think you'll find most people posting here don't really care to much but it's interesting to see what the cars do vs what the manufacturers say..

That’s exactly it. In reality anyone who buys a V8 thinking it’ll be frugal is, well probably a bit daft. I think some people underestimate how much fuel can cost in a car that does well under 20mpg though when you drive it daily though.

It’s why my CLS is for fun and my E Class is for putting the miles on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom