3.2 oil consumption?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dizz

Car
CLK320 (w209)
How much oil (if any) does a 3.2 M112 engine use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never put a drop in between services honestly. Car left us with 180k on the clock. 1999 CLK 320 bought from new. Same engine as the one you have bought.

Back when I had one, my 3.2 used no/negligible oil between 6-monthly oil changes.

If you look-up the official figures for consumption, it would have to be very bad indeed (obviously smoky) to get anywhere near them...

Back when I had one, my 3.2 used no/negligible oil between 6-monthly oil changes.

If you look-up the official figures for consumption, it would have to be very bad indeed (obviously smoky) to get anywhere near them...

I'll have to keep an eye on it, there's no smoke out the back and I can't see anything on the driveway, but previous owner said he top it up.

I suppose it matters how much he topped up? 500ml isnt a lot to lose. My 320 is on 130k now and I do not normally need to top up between services.

More and more new cars are now produced with looser tolerances in terms of clearance of pistons, piston rings, block etc (due to emissions and fuel savings), so it is becoming more common for cars to need a little bit if oil between services. May not be noticeable if you do oil twice as often, but say at 15k/1 year interval, it may well need a little bit.

More and more new cars are now produced with looser tolerances in terms of clearance of pistons, piston rings, block etc (due to emissions and fuel savings), so it is becoming more common for cars to need a little bit if oil between services. May not be noticeable if you do oil twice as often, but say at 15k/1 year interval, it may well need a little bit.

A few years ago a friend bought a Porsche 924 and had it serviced as soon as he got it home, the next day he was topping it up as it was leaking although not as much as he was putting in, this continued for a few days and he took it back to the garage that serviced it.
They worked out the oil that had been used was too thin and replaced it with the proper grade and all was well again.
its possible that that may have happened to mine I suppose?
Time for a quick oil service!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Modern Mercedes engines have much tighter tolerances, they certainly aren't BMC A series engines:doh:

A 3.2 M112 in good condition will use no oil between services, as long as it is a synthetic oil used with the correct fleece filter; and keep the oil level below the max mark:D

My 112 engine in my loan car is a bit thirsty at 200k.

About 1L per 1500 miles

Find a long steep hill and driive down it at say, 60.

Release the accelerator and allow the car to coast as far as possible.

At the bottom of the hill, put your foot down and watch in the mirror. If there's any blue smoke, you probablty have worn valve guide seals and that is where your oil is going.

Unless it becomes an embarrasment, I'd live with it.

Changng to a heaver oil might help, but will have a (slight) negative impact on fuel consumption and power.

.... used with the correct fleece filter.....

I thought "fleece filters" was an Americanism or a figment of their imagination.

So they really do exist elsewhere although perhaps not in the UK ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom