3.2 straight 6 jobs to do....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brummie andy

Car
E320 "Elegance" Estate
Hi all

Right, got a couple of jobs to do and picking guru minds, although don't think it's too bad. I have "noisy bearing and seized alternator clutch". Question is, it looks pretty straight forward without rad coming out but will i end up with scarred knuckles? Once done should i expect any fault codes as battery off? Also have the glow-plug light comes on, then off, then back on again for about 30 seconds. Apparently faulty glow plug. I have an OBD EOBD scanner that has worked fine with GM/Renault, and can clear codes.
Now the ever-circling question. Buy MB parts or after-market? For glow plugs and bearings, any tips?

On the hunt for a blue-tooth adaptor from Nokia 6 if anybody getting rid??

I can't really help, except stick an old pizza box in front of the rad fins. Protects them and your knuckles. ;)

Thanks. Plenty of scraped knuckles over the years resembling a Margarita!

So just getting my head around the site....lots of members, but not so many with "old man" motors like me! Should i be sending my questions to radio 4???

Members with 'old man' motors tend to be a little more restrained than some others.

I think they monitor the forum quite closely though, so your issues/problems/questions will be addressed.

Regarding parts, I try to identify who makes the MB original part (e.g. Lemforder, Pierburg etc) and then seek them from online parts retailers. I usually avoid cheaper aftermarket parts as they can have quality and fitment issues.

I don't know anything about diesels, but for something close to the heart of the engine I would definitely stick to original equipment. Hopefully, a diesel expert will come along and post the quality brands for glowplugs.

OEM (Beru) glow plugs are 7-ish quid from 'carparts4less'. I have just purchased one.

There are plenty of owners of older cars on here. Try doing a search for past threads on each of your topics and, if that doesn't throw up lots of advice, post again with a specific query.

Members with 'old man' motors tend to be a little more restrained than some others.

I think they monitor the forum quite closely though, so your issues/problems/questions will be addressed.

Regarding parts, I try to identify who makes the MB original part (e.g. Lemforder, Pierburg etc) and then seek them from online parts retailers. I usually avoid cheaper aftermarket parts as they can have quality and fitment issues.

I don't know anything about diesels, but for something close to the heart of the engine I would definitely stick to original equipment. Hopefully, a diesel expert will come along and post the quality brands for glowplugs.

Thank you. I will endeavour to choose my words carefully in the future....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom