3 day w220 owner be kind !!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carl682

Car
2003 s320 cdi
hi just changed car to a beautifull 2003 w220 320 cdi which i am already in love with !!!
Checked the usual stuff and it seems in fine fettle, just wondering though should the fan come on with the aircon at idle (I should add its very cold out today)
Have done a search but a bit confused now, don't fancy pulling plugs in this weather !!:rolleyes:

Also after driving for a couple of minutes seem to get a very low grinding noise from right front area goes after a couple of minutes pretty sure it not the airmatic though that seems very quiet going up and down.
Almost like the pads are grinding for a very short while then settling down ?

Any ideas

Yes, the the engine fan should run at low speed when the aircon is activated.
The grinding noise you hear could be a light surface rust forming on the discs overnight, next time you hear it just apply the brakes to clean up the discs. (assuming you know the pads are not worn down?)

defo no fan, where do i start !!!!

Also pads were changed just before I bought the car, may be be cheapo ones, scraping the disc etc
Trouble is I can't jack it up at the mo, Jack is missing and mine only rated to 2 tonnes tried this morning, jack made a tired wheezy noise tyre still on the floor !!

Yes, the the engine fan should run at low speed when the aircon is activated.
The grinding noise you hear could be a light surface rust forming on the discs overnight, next time you hear it just apply the brakes to clean up the discs. (assuming you know the pads are not worn down?)

Why would the fans run when the aircon is switched on, they are meant to run depending on pressure and temperature of the condenser.

I thought if the ambient temperature is really cold then the aircon will not come on whatever the heater settings.

The ac will work as it's used to clear windows but fans won't run as condenser temp will be low enough for them not to run

Thanks folks fan does run when over 5 degrees, jacked car up this morning span the wheel and the pad disc noise does sound excessive on the right front suspect something grooves seated correctly when the pads were done sounds very metal to metal when doing 20 to 30 mph

Look for the anti rattle spring resting on the disk as they warp and go soft. Modified spring available from mb

Looks like i got to change brake discs getting a nasty wobble braking from motorway speeds
grinding seems to be discs just as they warm up ?
Also one more question my owner manual has a bit of water damage in parts what is that button
For too the right of the auto gear lever opposi
te the winter button ?
Has an off position and three wavey vertical lines above it

Heater booster system, warms up interior more quickly, also engine warms up quicker, switches on auto if outside temp below 8 deg c and coolant temp below 70 deg c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom