3 month laid up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bayman57

Car
C Class convertible Premium plus AMG Line Hyacinth red 360 cam ivory/black
I am intending when rules allow to have 3 months abroad . the mercedes 2017 will be in the garage not used . advice if i have to disconnect battery . leave car unlocked ( totally secure garage ) or just leave it locked by fob and assume all will be fine on return ?? comments ?

I’ve had mine laid up for 18 months now. Booked into garage to have some parts put on then a service b before it hits the road in June. I put a new battery on a few weeks ago, and it fired up as usual. No lights on dash and everything seems to be working normally. If you can put the battery on a trickle charger, and raise the psi a little on the tyres, you shouldn’t have any problems.

I used to leave my 968 for weeks occasionally months at a time when working offshore/overseas. Always had a battery conditioner connected, car locked and alarmed (was able to get the conditioner cables to the battery with everything closed), never pumped the tyers harder than usual, never had a problem. IIRC the longest I left it unused was 3-4 months!

Your battery might suffer, though if it's an AGM it might be OK; ideally, leave it with a battery conditioner. If you can't do that, leave the car unlocked so you can get into it to open the bonnet to charge the battery on your return. Nothing else should be adversely affected.

Pop a battery conditioner on it, for around £70 you can get a CTEK unit designed for exactly this purpose.

ok thanks everyone for the tips

I leave mine in a secure garage unlocked but nothing else, no issues so far over the last 6 years or so

I agree regarding the ctek. However, my 911 has covered MOT mileage only for years and I have found it best to disconnect the battery... I get flat spots on the tyres but they seem to be ok after a short drive on mot day.

they don’t like not being used

The CTEK conditioner is excellent. If its connected to one then it will be fine to lock it. When in Italy our 124 is happy locked and no battery charger for as long as 4 months. Unlike more modern cars there are no fancy electrical items to cause it to discharge. Our neighbours have 2 modern Mercedes - less then 2 years old. They leave them both unlocked whenever they are away because they have had so many electrical issues when the battery runs down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom