3 weeks of Winter took its toll...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyp87

Car
W166 GLE350d
Previous two weekends I've been on-call so just sitting around the house but the weather was horrid so I couldn't wash the car and I knew I had to do something this weekend - even if it was just flushing out the arches and underbody...

In the morning I changed the pollen filter as the HVAC smelt like McD's surprisingly the old filter wasn't that bad (last service was 6k ago). Also changed the air filters for K&N's, mixture of sand/flies/leaves and a receipt in the air box. Vac'd out and cleaned then refitted.

Thankfully I managed to get everything cleaned up in just over an hour, I started at 3pm so it was a race against the light so I just used the hose (PW and foam lance are just a pain anyway).

Fairly basic process was followed:

Thorough rinse of the wheel arches and underside (Hose and Meg's Super Degreaser),
Clean wheels/arches/tires (Meg's wheel brightener + AG shampoo),
Rinse the body and spray Meg's Super Degreaser on the lower half - couldn't be bothered to refill the Meg's APC bottle
2BM wash using Dodo Supernatural Sponge with AG shampoo
Rinse
QD with Chemical Guys Speed Detailer
Dry
Buff up the tailpipe with AG metal polish
Dress arches + tires with AG Instant Tire Dressing (first time I used this, just applied and left to dry hence visible in the pics).

Light was pretty much gone when I finished so had to bump the ISO to 3200 on the camera so not the best photos afterwards.

Before: :eek:
_MG_7518_zpsba46cf85.jpg

_MG_7516_zps2301401e.jpg

_MG_7512_zps80385062.jpg

After:

_MG_7533_zpsf4ef31b2.jpg

_MG_7535_zps90104a61.jpg

_MG_7520_zpsbe117442.jpg

_MG_7526_zpsdd0e0f69.jpg

_MG_7529_zpse913f5eb.jpg

_MG_7531_zps1e293ef9.jpg

_MG_7521_zps6454ed85.jpg

Not the best beading photo I know...

Going to get the rear bumper resprayed in a month or two and also ask if the bodyshop can just do a smart repair to the edges of the doors. Few chips at the edges of the doors where it has met a garage wall on numerous occasions. Along with a 60k service to take care of the oily bits.

Plan on changing out the rusty wheel nuts for zinc-plated ones and repainting the calipers (thinking blue but will probably go for silver) next weekend.

Will change the rims to 18/19" at some point in Summer and lower her but trying to be somewhat sensible with the mod budget... Last car was out of control.

Thanks for looking.

My car looks like yours did and my road-pushbike looks like it's been rallying.

Nothing nicer than a clean car.

Why not get a wire brush onto your drill, buff off your rusty nuts (oooh, errr) and give them a spray from a can ?

Thanks for the comments guys! Aside from the rear bumper and two car park dings (thanks to someone in a Discovery 3!), she is in very good nick.

Steven, I done the wire brush and paint trick on my last car and pretty much as soon as I put a socket on the bolts the paint chipped off again. Found zinc-plated bolts on eBay for less than £30 so will just replace them and forget about it.

Considering the single slat grill to replace the current one but I'm not sure. If I remember correctly they leave a bit of a gap between the grill and the hood (well bonnet, I spent a lot of time on US forums with my last car)...

Nice work, cleaning a car 'properly' really is time consuming! I normally spend 2/3 hours just on the wheels/arches underside slight OCD, although I'm lucky enough to keep the car garaged.

Nice work, cleaning a car 'properly' really is time consuming! I normally spend 2/3 hours just on the wheels/arches underside slight OCD, although I'm lucky enough to keep the car garaged.

Tell me about it! I will be taking a week off work in Spring to do my proper detail of this baby! :rock:

silver calipers will look great, caught a glimpse of mine reflected in a shop window today and they looked great :)

I think I will be going for silver tbh, Kyle. Just so undecided. Had red calipers (I know) on my Jeep and they looked fantastic. Blue would be more subtle and blend in with the bodywork but I don't know - need to have a play in Photoshop tomorrow at work to confirm.

What caliper paint did you use? I bought stuff from America last time which was fantastic but want it this week w/o customs! I was actually thinking about Hammerite Smooth but not sure about durability and gloss...

Thanks for the photo, I think Hammerite will do the job quite nicely!!! :thumb:

Ive also done the edge of the hub, and the rim of the discbrake around the vents (very carefully) as you could see the rust through the wheel with Black Hammerite.

I haven't done anything to the car exterior wise other than removing the 'Avantgarte' badges.

I'm considering buying the new style single slat grill, seems to be going on every new Benz nowadays so will no doubt get one soon! Fitment isn't the best but you can only see the gap when looking up from ground level so it isn't that bad I suppose...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom