3 year free COMAND Map Updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is absolutely no requirement to tie an update in with a service. Whilst that may be beneficial to the dealer the update is a stand alone item which a car less than 3 years old is entitled to unconditionally. My car was updated twice last year. Read your handbook, everything you need to know is in there. Bear in mind the update process can take most of the day.

I have to admit that I have not read the car manual thoroughly but I don't think the update rules are mentioned there in detail.

Some time ago I did print a couple of documents. One stating that two updates per year are allowed. I would need more time to find this document (must have been either from WIS or from TIPS).

I did find another document that talks about updates during a service visit and a separate paragraph on updates between services. The charging rules should be the same for both cases.

The internet site mentioned in the document is way outdated, typical for MB.

Updates take a lot of time, specifically for the older cars (that still have free updates for the 3 first years) which makes workshops reluctant to follow the instructions from the headquarters.

Attachments

• MB maps update.JPG
    MB maps update.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 34
I have to admit that I have not read the car manual thoroughly but I don't think the update rules are mentioned there in detail.

Some time ago I did print a couple of documents. One stating that two updates per year are allowed. I would need more time to find this document (must have been either from WIS or from TIPS).

I did find another document that talks about updates during a service visit and a separate paragraph on updates between services. The charging rules should be the same for both cases.

The internet site mentioned in the document is way outdated, typical for MB.

Updates take a lot of time, specifically for the older cars (that still have free updates for the 3 first years) which makes workshops reluctant to follow the instructions from the headquarters.

I would really appreciate if you can find something. Cheers

This is correct, but when the car is undergoing scheduled servicing the dealer is supposed to carry-out the map updates as part of the service, without being prompted by the customer, and yet many dealers do not adhere to this.

This is very true.

The dealers dont like tieing up a service bay for a couple of hours for something they make no money from.

What you can do is to phone up the parts department, give them your VIN number and they will give you the pin number of the latest map update for free if you are within the three year period. You can then buy (or borrow) the disk set and do the update yourself without having to go to the dealer :) We sell the NTG 4.5 disk set itself for £69. As the maps are licenced by PIN code you can happily then sell the disk set on.

This is very true.

The dealers dont like tieing up a service bay for a couple of hours for something they make no money from.

What you can do is to phone up the parts department, give them your VIN number and they will give you the pin number of the latest map update for free if you are within the three year period. You can then buy (or borrow) the disk set and do the update yourself without having to go to the dealer :) We sell the NTG 4.5 disk set itself for £69. As the maps are licenced by PIN code you can happily then sell the disk set on.

That's actually a very good tip. I would gladly pay just for the DVD if the dealer is willing to give the PIN code for free and I don't have to wait till my next service.

Do you reckon most dealers would gladly agree?

Last edited:
That's actually a very good tip. I would gladly pay just for the DVD if the dealer is willing to give the PIN code for free and I don't have to wait till my next service.

Do you reckon most dealers would gladly agree?

I dont see why not. I know one that does give them out for free if within the 3 year period (they do check) but whether they want to be inundated with calls is another matter ;-)

Alfie, does that mean that the PIN is not car specific? You can use the same PIN on more than 1 car? What if the PIN is aquired for a <3 year old car and "next user" has a car >3 years old, would it work? If it does, it brings NTG4.5 in line with NTG4 and the ability to re-use map update DVD's!!

Alfie, does that mean that the PIN is not car specific? You can use the same PIN on more than 1 car? What if the PIN is aquired for a <3 year old car and "next user" has a car >3 years old, would it work? If it does, it brings NTG4.5 in line with NTG4 and the ability to re-use map update DVD's!!

No. the PIN number is tied to one VIN number only.

Alfie said:
This is very true. The dealers dont like tieing up a service bay for a couple of hours for something they make no money from. What you can do is to phone up the parts department, give them your VIN number and they will give you the pin number of the latest map update for free if you are within the three year period. You can then buy (or borrow) the disk set and do the update yourself without having to go to the dealer :) We sell the NTG 4.5 disk set itself for £69. As the maps are licenced by PIN code you can happily then sell the disk set on.

If you get the PIN during the 3 year period, does it also work after the 3 year period (with a later disk update)?

Good try but it's a new pin needed per update.

Does anyone know what the latest version is, and when they get released ?

Mine currently says Map Data version no: 2016/2017 (V15.0) Europe

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 34
If you get the PIN during the 3 year period, does it also work after the 3 year period (with a later disk update)?

Nope. Each pin is tied to a particular map version and VIN number.

V15 is the latest for NTG 4.5 W204. Other vehicles have different types/versions.

As at time of writing here are the latest versions;

NTG1 V17
NTG2 V18
NTG 2.5 V14
NTG3 V15
NTG3.5 TBC (new one coming soon!)
NTG4 (W204) V14 (not for pre MY09 cars, thats V12)
NTG4 (W212/207) TBC (New one coming soon!)
NTG 4.5 V15
NTG5 V8

Nope. Each pin is tied to a particular map version and VIN number.

V15 is the latest for NTG 4.5 W204. Other vehicles have different types/versions.

As at time of writing here are the latest versions;

NTG1 V17
NTG2 V18
NTG 2.5 V14
NTG3 V15
NTG3.5 TBC (new one coming soon!)
NTG4 (W204) V14 (not for pre MY09 cars, thats V12)
NTG4 (W212/207) TBC (New one coming soon!)
NTG 4.5 V15
NTG5 V8

Hi, NTG4.5 and NTG4.7 are the same, right?

What's the latest update for SLK with NTG 4.5 ? Ver 15 as above for W204 as it's the same Comand model? I have print out from last update in July 2016 and it was ver 13.0, 2015/2016 map. Aren't new versions released in spring?

My car will run out of 3 years period soon and want to update it before then. Service is not due until July so have to do it as separate appointment. Can tie it to warranty repair.

Angie's 2015 SLK55 was serviced in January and was updated to 2016/2017 v15.0, so unless another update has been released since, that's the current version.

Thanks. Will call the dealer and see what they say. I will give them some warranty work so they don't complain too much.

Just to update: Caterham dealership did not complain about nav update outside of service schedule. However I had a list of 4 other issues to fix under warranty.

I've had 3 cars that should have had the updates done in the first 3 years, and none ever have been even though fully serviced, they don't do them as a mandatory update, only on request , however the cost to the dealers means they don't like doing them and seem to push them out as long as possible. it's a con, and getting them done later, even under dealer warranties doesn't happen very often. unless you pay.

Angie's 2015 SLK55 was serviced in January and was updated to 2016/2017 v15.0, so unless another update has been released since, that's the current version.

Just checked documents and my car was updated to Europe 2016 V14.0. Date of update 21/03/2017. Should I call another dealership and ask about current version?

Why not give Richard or Alfie a call at COMAND Online? At least you'll get a sensible, accurate, answer :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom