300 km/h speedo for a C43 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noogieman

MB Enthusiast
Car
I Loewe Old Skool AMG
Hello.
I have bought a used 208 or 210 instrument cluster for my 1999 C43 AMG!
This speedo is a 300 km/h speedo.
This 300 speedo have the illuminating yellow warning triangle above the ////AMG logo with the exlamation mark in it (!), when you lose traction.

The side dials are full round in design, not the same as C43 that are cut below where the display for clock and thermometer are located.
water temp/gas indicator lacks the lower display of outer thermometer.
the RPM lacks the clock display.
These gadgets are located in the bottom center display below the speedo.

If I remove this 300 speedo and install it in my own cars cluster housing, will it work properly at once after installment?

About the mileage, my car has covered 92700 km!

I dunno the mileage from the 300 speedo?

When I install this 300 speedo in my car what mileage will show on this replacement speedo?
My cars original mileage?
Or the mileage from the original cars 300 speedo?

I've been asking around about this and nobody can give me a good answer!

Does C-klass 202 from 1997 to 2000 save the mileage in the speedo's digital readout display or does it save the mileage in the cars computer?

I don't want to install my 300 speedo if my cars original mileage status gets erased and the mileage from the 300 speeedo comes up instead in my cluster showing 200.000 miles for an example!
My car never covered 200.000 miles yet.

In Germany it's very popular to manipulate speedo's to show less than what has really been true mileage.

Is this what I have to do if I install my 300 speedo?
To hire a wizzard to pull the digits back to 92700 km?

I appreciate if anyone can reply to this.
I don't want to fu-- up my car with such thing like swapping my speedo for another mean M.F if there will be any complications!
I asked the stealership and their incompetence gave me no advice!

Will this 300 speedo fit and work properly on my car?
Anyone familiar with these questions?
Thanks

Last edited:
What's the part number ? will it fit physically ?

I'm not sure , but on later MB's the mileage is stored elsewhere other than the cluster and if the DAS doesn't tally them all up to be the same , the car won't work.

You would need someone with a STAR for sure to code it afterwards.

I'm pretty sure that 202/208/210 clusters are compatible in terms of physical fitment and electrical connection - I think Alps was going to fit a 208 cluster to his CANBUS-equipped C36 and then add the multi-function wheel etc too.

I don't think you can reprogram the mileage on STAR once the speedo has gone past 250km/155 miles, you might need one of the more shadey 'mileage reprogramming' type outfits.

I think the cluster will however need coding for the various options/settings on your car though. I think there's a menu/facility in STAR for this - usually covers stuff like Navigation (if fitted) etc.

If you're going to this effort, I'd consider fitting a COMAND system as a few W202 owners have already done - then you can have the Navi information shown in the cluster too :cool:

Only thing I would add to all this would be that the displays on either side of the speedometer can often fail (the pixels go dim or unreadable). So if you don't know the history of this cluster then it might have these issues.

Does your C43 have the tipronic gear selector? Because on the facelift 208/210 cluster you have the gear indicator on the RHS next to the clock!

Howard is correct that the mileage is stored elsewhere as well as the cluster. I think that if you connect the new cluster up, it'll display the mileage of the vehicle that it came from, but it'll still have the original mileage stored elsewhere. Your old cluster will retain the original mileage details.

Will

That is, assuming, it's a facelift cluster - but I am now not so sure! :confused: :eek:

if it's a facelift cluster then the wheel and airbag will also need to be changed, as various warnings etc may appear on the display but without the required buttons you won't be able to clear them, reset stuff, cycle through menus etc.

I'm pretty sure that 202/208/210 clusters are compatible in terms of physical fitment and electrical connection - I think Alps was going to fit a 208 cluster to his CANBUS-equipped C36 and then add the multi-function wheel etc too.

I don't think you can reprogram the mileage on STAR once the speedo has gone past 250km/155 miles, you might need one of the more shadey 'mileage reprogramming' type outfits.

I think the cluster will however need coding for the various options/settings on your car though. I think there's a menu/facility in STAR for this - usually covers stuff like Navigation (if fitted) etc.

If you're going to this effort, I'd consider fitting a COMAND system as a few W202 owners have already done - then you can have the Navi information shown in the cluster too :cool:

Only thing I would add to all this would be that the displays on either side of the speedometer can often fail (the pixels go dim or unreadable). So if you don't know the history of this cluster then it might have these issues.

Does your C43 have the tipronic gear selector? Because on the facelift 208/210 cluster you have the gear indicator on the RHS next to the clock!

Howard is correct that the mileage is stored elsewhere as well as the cluster. I think that if you connect the new cluster up, it'll display the mileage of the vehicle that it came from, but it'll still have the original mileage stored elsewhere. Your old cluster will retain the original mileage details.

Will

Hello, thanks for the replys.

My car is manufactured in 1998 as an 1999 model with canbus D2B fiber optics system.
I have the old style gear box, not the tiptronic from 2000.

About this 300 km/h speedo.
I was thinking to pull of the needle knob and then the dials 300 km/h faceplate!
I will then put the faceplate on my own original speedo on my car.
Is this possible?

Or do I have to lift the complete speedo with the backside housing attached to each other?
Are there any quick snap on fasteners or are there any screws to be unscrewed and then the speedo housing comes off?

So what youre saying is that the mileage is stored in 2 different places?
In the digital display on the speedo below the face plate and on my cars computer?

I will link a 300 speedo I found on internet!
I will also link a modified picture where I have highlighted the missing bottom displays from the complete 300 km/ speedo cluster.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Here are the highlighted parts missing on my complete 300 km/h cluster!

As you can see below the speedo there is a rectangular shaped display on our C43's displying the digital mileage!

My 300km/h speedo doesn't have this rectangular design shaped display style as on my C43
Therefore I suspect this Speedo cluster is from a 208 CLK 55 or a 210 E55 AMG cars!

But the orange colored triangle, ESP (!) warning display is present above the ////AMG logo, so this is exactly the same as on my car's cluster faceplate dial!

I know that from 1998 to 1999, 208 CLK55 and 210 E55 AMG used 2 types of cluster design styles:
left side water temp/gas needle dial with or without bottom outer thermometer display present.
right side RPM dial with or without bottom clock display present.

So removing the 300 faceplate speedo and put it in my original supplied instrument cluster has to work on my car?
Right?

What about calibrating the new speedo to my car?
Does MB stealership do this or do I have to hire Shady Jack to set the correct mileage and calibrating the new speedo?
Thanks

Last edited:
Ok. Good news and bad news for you!

Good news: slots straight in and will work perfectly!

Bad news: will stick out about 2 inches at the top. Your options here are to either saw the fronts off the instrument clusters and swap them or see if they unclip in some way that's compatible with each other.

Bad news: will stick out about 2 inches at the top. Your options here are to either saw the fronts off the instrument clusters and swap them or see if they unclip in some way that's compatible with each other.

forgive me for my poor english.
I don't understand now?

# What is it I should cut off?
Can you copy my first picture and mark the spots you're talking about?

# And what will stick out 2 inches?

Thanks

Here is the speedo cluster I bought.
I had to re-edit the picture to fit the approved size.
This cluster should come from a CLK or a 210 AMG Benz!

Sorry about the poor picture quality.

You can see the outer temp and clock display missing!
But there is the ESP triangle present!
This must be the facelift cluster with ESP flashing display above AMG logo?

Can you tell what year this cluster comes from?

This faceplate 300 speedo must fit bolt on on my C43?
Please tell me I'm dying to now!:confused:

Thanks

Last edited:
What is the part number ...

That looks like a CLK cluster....

I can't see the partsnumber, the sticker was peeled off!

I know this begins with A208 540 but the rest is unknown to me!

If it starts A208 , its definately a CLK part.

Probably from a CLK 55 , although tha facelift CLK55's have a black dial IIRC , so that may be a pre facelift CLK55 dial.

If it starts A208 , its definately a CLK part.

Probably from a CLK 55 , although tha facelift CLK55's have a black dial IIRC , so that may be a pre facelift CLK55 dial.

that means this faceplate will fit my c43 amg?

I can remove the needleknob and lift the 300 dial plate and put it on my speedo?
bolt on?

my car is a 1999 model c43 and the new facelift 208 clk came in 2000 with the large display in the lower end of the speedo!

this is a good sign, that this 300 speedo is pre 2000 design style!

I've seen on google that other people who modify's their clusters with chrome rings and new style dial plates.
They only remove the needle knob and lift the dial plate and replacing this with a another one.
This is what I intend to do!

Thanks

is this what you say to cut them off separately from each other?

does original AMG dial plates come like this all together on a background plate?
or are they separately attached to each gauge without the background plate as seen on this linked picture?
maybe this background plate is only a delivery sticker holding all 3 dial plates in place?

MBSCA Shopen - Vita Plasma Tavlor med blå text.

Last edited:
so here is my 300 speedo face dial.
it's only the disc.

how difficult is it to remove my factory 280km/h disc and replacing it with the other one?

there are 2 guidepins that holds the factory faceplate in place, are these 2 pins the only fastenings.
is there any glue or sticky adhesive attached on the backside of the factory faceplate?

how do I proceed to put the butch 300 dial on my cluster?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom