300 SL acceleration issue!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Highlnder

Car
SL 320 R129 & C180K W204
Hi everyone, new 300sl member here. I have just bought a 1992 300SL with 146000 on the clock. The car is in great condition, no rust, all electrics work, new roof, cylinder head done in 2007, all with substantial MB service records etc etc. The problem I am having is there is a noticeable lack of power when accelerating. The car runs fine and idles ok, but when you put the foot down it is slow on building speed. When up at 40mph or so, the kick down can be jerky in sport mode, but I did notice that it had not had a service for a couple of years and 22000 miles ago. Hoping that this is the issue I have booked it in for a major service with my independant garage end of this month and bought new Distributor, rotor, HT leads, drive belt, plugs, oil air and fuel filters. I am hoping that this along with engine and gearbox oil change will rectify the issue. I have put in carb cleaner and also dry fuel but to no avail. Does anyone have any advice or similar problems and resolutions? :dk:
Thanks in advance!!

Hi all, I have now discovered a "hissing" noise from the o/s rear behind the wheel somewhere. Could this be a huge leak in my vacuum system and if so would this cause my acceleration and power problem?
Please help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom