300c yes or no?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIG Sean

Car
Chrysler 300c SRT Design CRD
the lex is getting very tired and my mate has a surplus 300c CRD for sale - should I???

Lot of car for the money but a lot of reported problems too.

£2500 '08 lots of miles ex chauffeur car but no knocks or bangs(unlike the lex!)

I had a petrol-engine one as a rental car in Canada three or four years ago.

Interior fit and finish was nothing to get too excited about, but if you're looking for a big, cheap, barge then it'd probably be OK. I've no idea about reliability or gremlins though.

Tesco Value Bentley, gets a no from me! haha

Alex225 said:
Tesco Value Bentley, gets a no from me! haha

I hated it when people called it that when I owned one. It's a great workhorse compared to many things I've had in the past. I had the estate with a standard grille.

The gearbox is great but I ruined my diff by towing 3.5 tonne all the time around Cornwall and up to London/ Aberdeen but I really can't complain.

If you're buying it to be a Bentley then it's a no from me, buying it as a motorway hack or workhorse it's perfect!

At £2.5k it's got to be worth a punt, if you hate it you can sell it on pretty easily. After all it's less than 6 months of a finance deal. :p

I test drove one in 2006, I liked it as a motorway mile muncher. I'm larger than average and found it comfortable in the way that an armchair can be. In an auto I like to move the driver's seat back more than most would and there's still plenty of room in the back.

I'd ignore the comments about image, every car has one of some description.

What chassis is it based on - W210? even though its a 2008? is there much else in common - is it an MB engine and box?

Based on a w211 I believe.

I reckon at that price it is definitely worth a look. Looking on honestjohn I think I was wrong to talk about problems - it doesnt seem to have any more issues than any other big diesel of that era.

I doubt it will be the sharpest drive but it'll be big, comfy and wafty.

I hated it when people called it that when I owned one. It's a great workhorse compared to many things I've had in the past. I had the estate with a standard grille.

The gearbox is great but I ruined my diff by towing 3.5 tonne all the time around Cornwall and up to London/ Aberdeen but I really can't complain.

If you're buying it to be a Bentley then it's a no from me, buying it as a motorway hack or workhorse it's perfect!

To be honest, they're quite interesting cars especially compared to the many tin boxes on the roads mate. My response was only meant in a light hearted manner. :thumb:

Alex225 said:
To be honest, they're quite interesting cars especially compared to the many tin boxes on the roads mate. My response was only meant in a light hearted manner. :thumb:

It's ok I didn't take offence, it seems to be many people's first views.

Basically a cheaply finished Mercedes that has something a bit more interesting about it. I personally hate the saloons, I like the estates a lot.

I had a 1st generation 5.7L V8 300C as a hire car on holiday and loved it but it has typical US standards of interior finish so not remotely up to an MB.
If you want a mobsters car that's the one.

6785541_std.jpg

Looks ok not sure about the 'Bentley' kit

Attachments

• image-443285244.jpg
    image-443285244.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 48
They're a rarity in that they used the V6 CDi but with the 5 speed box whereas Mercedes used the 7G in their cars (yes I know the V6 Vito was 5speed...)

I actually quite like them, I quite like the way yanks make cars look expensive on the outside but the inside costs about 43p.

Hired one a few years ago in America. covered around 3000 miles in 3 weeks.Found it comfortable , like many full sized yank cars it handles like a cabin cruiser , but very pleasant and relaxing drive. Rear seat not as spacious as you might expect in a car this size (quite a wide transmission tunnel if i recall correctly).
A local cab company have a couple of 300C`s and are very pleased with both the car and the running costs. £2.k for an 08 seems reasonable.

Looks good, one of the best looking cars in their day, bit dated now but for 2.5k who cares!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom