300CE-24: More cautious optimism!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray_hennig

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB 300CE-24 Sportline
300CE-24: Injector and Coil change - Optimism

Decided to invest €500-ish and bought a set of injectors, seals and guides, plus a Beru ignition coil.

Why? Due to 30 seconds of hot start misfire and repeated stalling on selecting neutral.

Had a degree of misery removing one of the injectors (access) and breaking a little vacuum hose that was causing the misery. Finally got 6 shiny new injectors installed and switched on. Also, mended the little pipe with Araldite, sticky tape and cable ties - hmmmmm.

No evidence of leaks, all looking good. After a degree of churning, it fires up and settles into a perfect fast idle. We left it idling, checking again for leaks. All looked good.

Idle then settled down to an even, smooth 700-ish so we switched off, installed air filter and when for a test run. Faultless, if slightly gutless. Went back and checked duty cycle. It had drifted up to about 67% so I re-adjusted to around 50% and things seemed better.

An interesting point is that, with the old injectors it was generally more difficult to set the duty cycle. Also, 50% at idle used to shift to about 65% at 2000. Now, the 50% is easier to set and 2000 gives a value of around 55%. This feels better to me.

Result: more spirited performance. During all this, it managed to stall almost every time I selected neutral. So, I fitted the new coil.

WHY DIDN’T I REPLACE THIS €80 COIL EARLIER? One reason is that I had another MB coild in stock and did swap them over some time in the past with no noticeable change. Oh well!

No more stalling and the idle, when moving D-N-R or R-N-D, is MUCH more stable.

That was yesterday and I’ll be doing a bit of driving today to evaluate the thing. So far, I’m more than satisfied with the investment.

More if there’s anything of interest.

Best to all.

RayH

PS: I'm seeing reports of dubious Beru quality. Comments anyone?

Last edited:
Might be something to do with:-

Technology Center/Manufacturing Facility
No. 188, Jingu Zhong Rd. (West)
315104 Yinzhou District, Ningbo
CHINA

BorgWarner BERU Systems & Emissions Systems
248-69, Samchong-Ri, Judok-Eup
Chungju-City
Korea

BorgWarner (Thailand) Ltd.
700/153 Moo 1, AMATA Nakorn Indutrial
T. Bankao, A. Panthong
20160 Chonburi
Chungchongbuk-Do 380-882
Thailand

Now the designs of the components will be exactly the same but will the locally sourced raw materials be to the same standard? the same chemical composition of say the potting compound or the enamel coated wire. Just sayin.:dk:

Yes, interesting. I also noticed that the Beru coil is Marked "Germany". The box is marked "Made in Slovenia", whatever that tells us.

Given the effect of installing the new coil, I wouldn't be devastated if I had to get a proper MB one. Of course, the biggest issue would be a breakdown.

RayH

Last edited:
Ditch the old CIS-E and go full EFi on that 300-24.. It'll change into a whole new animal!

Ditch the old CIS-E and go full EFi on that 300-24.. It'll change into a whole new animal!

Well, it's a thought. Got a parts list?

My only reservation is that most of the problems with the car have been electronic, not mechanical. I'd go as far as to say that, fuel consumption aside, "Give me an old Mercedes with everything mechanical and I'd be a happy chap".

RayH

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom