300CE-24 restoration at PCS Horndean: Not just the engine ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray_hennig

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB 300CE-24 Sportline
I suppose this could equally be in the suspension area but I decided on here as there are so many engine-related improvements. If moderators wish to put this elsewhere, feel free.

My 1991 300CE-24 Sportline was left at PCS in Horndean on Saturday the 13th May 2017. I collected it on Friday the 13th of October 2017, with 411K Kms on the clock. From there, I drove it to Hitchin then Appledore in Kent and back to Paris. I'll be driving it hope to the Dordogne on Friday (the 20th) afternoon.

So, what's changed? In VERY broad terms, the engine and suspension have been restored almost to new condition. I have no time for lengthy explanations but shall answer questions from interested parties.

Suffice it to say that the 1000 Kms I've done so far have been almost completely uneventful. The engine as MUCH quieter. As is the drive train - no whines or vibrations now. The gearbox is changing like a new box. The stability at speed is better than I've ever known it - I bought the car from MB in 1997 with about 135K Kms on the clock.

The engine (I include ignition and fuel delivery here) was always good on a long run. Reasonable consumption of up to 35 mpg. However, around town it would sometimes suffer surging revs and stalling when parking - forward/reverse/repeat - you get the picture. Now, all that is solved. There is simply NO drama or inconvenience in city conditions.

All work was done at PCS aside from the auto box rebuild that was done by Mackie Transmissions in Glasgow. So far, so very good.

All for now.

RayH

So, 26 years old, 411k km and five months at PCS, I presume you - like me - are commited to lavish whatever it takes to maintain the old gal!

My recent rear suspension rebuild has transformed my C124, though I'm now considering having new springs fitted to lower it.

Around £19k in servicing, maintenance and parts - a mere bagatelle...

So, 26 years old, 411k km and five months at PCS, I presume you - like me - are commited to lavish whatever it takes to maintain the old gal!

My recent rear suspension rebuild has transformed my C124, though I'm now considering having new springs fitted to lower it.

Around £19k in servicing, maintenance and parts - a mere bagatelle...
This is a one-time, no cosmetics "lavish". The paintwork and leather look very tired but this recent project was never intended to be anything other than performance/reliability focused.

Regarding springs, I had a Bilstein B12 lowering kit on there. Now it has 4 new MB original Sportline springs and related Sachs dampers. It sits at original height now and is smoother. It probably rolls more than it did with the B12; my son will certainly think so.

Oh! Forgot the wheels. 4 (why only 4) were refinished and look great. Got to get the spare done too. I justified that cosmetic touch on the basis that cleaning them was such a pain.

RayH

Ray

I think I saw some pics of your rear sub-frame. It does look like a supreme job that will outlast the car ;^) Great work by Olly and his crew (as always) and great of you to post on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom