300CE 24V how to gain more power.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
... I did not feel the need to be more specific about why he did have the same displacement as an AMG engine as he had already given the details in his first post ...

Actually, he hadn't:

... I have a 300CE 24V engine, (with distributor) and a supposed 60K ...

... I fitted the same engine as you have in to my car (a w124 saloon), and with about £850 in parts and me doing the work it now puts out around 270hp...

We knew what engine he was referring to from other threads but this wouldn't be clear to everyone.

The first quote you made was by ninaandphil, not by carat 3.6 amg. But I do stand corrected in that carat's engine specification (including reference to displacement) was mentioned in his first post after my request for more information, not his actual first post, sorry for the confusion.

Hi

Another brilliant and irrelevant post!!!

from your post, we learned that there's some kind of mathematical calculation that provides horse power figures..well done!!

we also learned that your is fitted with a Split second eco which controls 2 extra injectors to allow more fuel to the KE J system..ok!

and very nice RWP figures...well done! but how is this relevant to the bigger throttle body diameter..

Have you tryed fittig a largee bore throttle body?? if so what was your results??

let us know about the throttle body only...I already my daily dose of irrelevant comments for one day.

mazza

Why would I fit a larger bore throttle body which would give zero improvement over the size designed for the engine?

If you haven't modified the downstream part of the engine such as injection and cams then why technically would you need more air ????

All performance mods without doing baseline and modded dyno runs really can't be quantified by the seat of the pants dyno !

RYBCC, do these percentages change wether the car has a manual or automatic gearbox? I ask because I would expect an auto to create more of a load on the engine than a manual?

Also do you know the rwp of a standard c36 on both types of dyno, I would like to put my car on a dyno at some point to confirm exactly how much power it is putting out and it would be handy to have something to compare it against.

The auto will show about 5% less power then the manual on a dyno.

Only baseline dyno runs I know of on C36 automatic USA spec cars are 208RWP ( 4 speed auto rated 268HP ) and 213RWP ( 5 speed auto rated 276HP )

Also a Euro spec automatic at 220RWP.

I would think you should dyno between 215-225 on a load type dyno and possibly 235-240 on an inertia type dyno.

If you can find a load type it will give more accurate "on the road" results as the rollers are loaded with resistance much like what tires see on the street,
The inertia type spins freely with the rotation of the rear wheels.

I am an advocate of dyno pulls because it costs money to go fast and you might as well see what bang for your buck you get with a mod.

It also enables you to tune your engine especially with afr's to gain max power. :thumb:

Ed A.

On a Euro spec automatic C36 I've seen 220rwp....

What happens when the throttle body becomes too large? Anything bad........

What happens when the throttle body becomes too large? Anything bad........
Driveability suffers. If the engine is getting enough air for its needs from a smaller throttle opening you get less progression with your throttle inputs. Effectively the engine will be getting enough air at half throttle opening so your throttle would end up like an on-off switch.

RBYCC is spot on when he rules it out as an upgrade in itself.

I suspect that the reason you get progressively bigger throttle bodies on the 2.5, 2.5 evo and 2.5 evo11 is not down to the power they produce on the road-going cars but more to do with homologation regulations (Group N would have retained the original induction system).

Having fitted Individual throttle bodies to my BMW 02, which provide a significant extra volume over the standard single body, I can safely say it makes a good noise. As to extra power, without an upgraded cam and a re-map to provide more fuelling to match the greater valve opening and air flow, the garage fitting them told me that there was no real benefit.

Martyn_n, RBYCC and Nick Froome among others are spot on. Extra air absent any other change can actually make things worse, not better.

Having fitted Individual throttle bodies to my BMW 02, which provide a significant extra volume over the standard single body, I can safely say it makes a good noise.

They do don't they, it's the one thing I really miss about the Westfield I sold last week, like twin DCOEs without coming home smelling of unburnt petrol!!

Driveability suffers. If the engine is getting enough air for its needs from a smaller throttle opening you get less progression with your throttle inputs. Effectively the engine will be getting enough air at half throttle opening so your throttle would end up like an on-off switch.
QUOTE]

This, I can understand, thank you kindly.......:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom