300CE knowledge please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KLee

Car
to No.1 brand in reliability
Hi all, am needing the knowledge of those in the know regarding the sought after 300CE machines. Grober u seem the one ... Given the following for sale and wanting to buy one (not me specifically but thinking about the old man), is this October 1988 model engine and mileage to consider or stay away?

300CE 1988 Blue/Black

Grober's brief comments on the 300CE history is so relevant; I'm for easier engine to work on, given they all need working on, and this advertised one seems to have had the facial treatment with the facelifted front and back lights - does that in the ad get a tick? It is lowered tho dealer cannot confirm with what - is there such a thing as Lorinser springs? How can I tell? Sorry no knowledge on these mods. It also turns out the Lorinser mag wheels are no longer on the car and what you see is aftermarket imitation AMG 17". Bumper looks normal MB to me. The steering wheel is probably all that is Lorinser. The dealer claims perforated leather seats, anyone know from the pics if those seats have the leather covers? Has had 3 owners in total - the last one only since Jan 06, and is the dealers' dad.

Is the 300CE-24 engine to stay away from if I'm wanting more hassle free? I wouldn't be looking at performance, just prestige.

What about this 300CE-24 1990 White one?

Saw a few ads for E220 and E320, is it me or is that grille making it look more like a C class? Anyway, they seem to have more mileage than the 300CE I picked out above. Figured less mileage in this models always better outcome?

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, I think I prefer the white one, especially with the Mushroom Interior.

Also I find comfort in the knowledge that the owner has the confidence of filling the tank with petrol, always a good sign. Another thing, the Temp looks good, (normal), and oil pressure is nice level at idle.

But of course it's personal choice at the end of the day.

Good luck, Bill.

Last edited:
If you're not bothered about performance consider the 230 and 220 engines - cheaper insurance and better economy, though at mileages above 100k watch for possible head gasket problems.

Personally I would avoid modified cars, lowered suspension and after market alloys suggest boy racer abuse/neglect.

Those prices seems high, UK prices for 124 CEs are in the £3-5k bracket now, and at the upper level you'd be looking to get a nice one.

a few comments

NOT MUCH TIME SO JUST A FEW COMMENTS.

The blue black car looks good in the pics . Clear indicators are a tasteful mod IMHO. no mention of service history??? I would be asking why the sellers father wanted rid after 6 months also. may be a prefectly good reason but ask.

The white one 24v more complicated engine to work on. Does say full MB SERVICE history --------is it truely up to date??????? The odometer display looks a bit up and down to me in the pics but maybe just the position at the time of photo.
WITH THESE CARS DOCUMENTED HISTORY, ORIGINALITY, AND PROVENANCE, IS EVERYTHING. More important than mileage if its been well serviced. In AUSTRALIA I would be looking very carefully at the air con system also with evidence of regular servicing and regassing!

Hi Klee,

Not that I have anything against the older models, lets face it, I had a few of the earlier 124's and they were great.

However, and I am not sure what your budget is, but if I were you, I would go for the later versions, ie the 220CE or even better 320CE. I have a 220CE and I think it is one of the best mercs I have had....would really prefer the 320CE convertible, but thats another thing!!

Both the older and newer versions are good, but I think the later ones were just that much solidly built and alot smoother.

I have to say though, those prices are far too much assuming the Aus $ is roughly 3:1

W124 coupes sure are expensive in OZ. Might be worth investigating importing one from the UK or Ireland.

As a side note, note the picture for thisw124 estate - must have come from an 80's motor show.

If i head back to oz i probably will import my w124 wagon as cant believe what they retail for these days.

YES people this and some others in particular aren't as many around as in UK - they were way too expensive in oz (everything from overseas was in oz). I think new back in 1988 it was $130,000? So what few around is pretty much a seller's call, valued higher than in UK. Which is prob a good indication to stick it to them and forget it altogether. I would go with Grober's advice on these cars that the documented history and originality is everything, forget which model/year. Import into oz? huh .. Ive gone down that route and I can tell you the oz ports are shi-te - what they say about the lazy wharfies are all embarassingly true, till today, how sad compared to other international country ports. Dont bother.

Vips said:
Hi Klee,

Not that I have anything against the older models, lets face it, I had a few of the earlier 124's and they were great.

However, and I am not sure what your budget is, but if I were you, I would go for the later versions, ie the 220CE or even better 320CE. I have a 220CE and I think it is one of the best mercs I have had....would really prefer the 320CE convertible, but thats another thing!!

Both the older and newer versions are good, but I think the later ones were just that much solidly built and alot smoother.

I have to say though, those prices are far too much assuming the Aus $ is roughly 3:1

I would agree the later twin cam motors are bit smoother, probably more efficient in the petrol consumption v power equation also. However the earlier cars dont have the engine wiring loom problems, (exacerbated by a hot climate), so possibly an issue in Oz. The earlier cars original paint system is solvent based and reckoned to be a bit better than the later water based paint system. Some people also reckon the the old hydraulic 4 speed auto box is more reliable than the later 5 speed electronic box.
But as you said there's not much to choose between them in the long run. :D

Just cant believe those prices.1990 coupes start at £2,000 and can go up to about £4,000 for prestine motors...take a look on www.autotrader.co.uk. ...There really could be a market for exporting these models to oz. Is there a big demand for them ????

petef said:
Just cant believe those prices.1990 coupes start at £2,000 and can go up to about £4,000 for prestine motors...take a look on www.autotrader.co.uk. ...There really could be a market for exporting these models to oz. Is there a big demand for them ????

Basically if you know someone emmigrating to OZ in a years time tell them to buy a w124 coupe and import it.
I have the estate but thinking of switching to the coupe as i could be heading back myself.

If you are thinking of bringing that coupe back, ensure you have owned it for 2 years. The AC system has to be top notch as the heat here is guaranteed to cause the MB AC grief. I don't know about 'big' demand although it is a coveted model for those in the know but it is a fact there are so few models actually in the country compared to UK due to sheer population and affordability. Now that it has depreciated it becomes an option and noticed more. There are more high wealth individuals these days too but the typical aussie bloke would rather race a commodore than enjoy the elegance of such coupes.

Don't worry about reliability of the 24V engines , perhaps marginally more complex mechanically than 12V but just as smooth , useful extra power and torque make the car that bit more lively , fuel consumption no worse .

Do worry about the HFM injected versions of the M104 (that's the 280 and 320 versions) they suffer from disintegration of the insulation of the engine wiring loom , M-B decided to use 'biodegradable' insulation , intended to break down after the car was scrapped , but in a hot engine bay this commonly happens after about 10 years , less in hot countries . The loom comes in 3 sections and you can spend between 1 and four hundred for the parts to replace it (an easy diy job) depending on which parts you need . Symptoms range from poor running , engine malfunctions and , in extreme cases , to the vehicle going on fire or having an accident .

There are those who say that the EZL ignition control module is prone to failure on the 300-12V and 300-24V engines but i have not experienced this one personally.

Cylinder head gaskets sometimes fail , oil leaks are not uncommon at the front end of the engine where the head joins the block just behind the distributor block and above the alternator . This applies equally to both 12V and 24V versions.

Serviced properly , the engines are all very durable , I've had two examples of the 12V engines well over 200,000 miles . My current car's original 24V engine lasted until 370,000 miles and the replacement engine is a 'youngster' at 50,000.

Hope this is of some help .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom