300ce vs 220ce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deebz

Car
W204 estate
Does anyone have any experience of both of these lumps?
I had a 300ce for a short while last year. I found it quite juicy but then it wasn't in the best of condition and I can't remember what I was pooling around in beforehand so could all be relevant.
But I wondered how the 220 compared in the ce.
Is it powerful enough for the tank likebuild and is it any more frugal being a newer design engine (Is it a newer design??)

Or is the 300ce 24v the one to go for and be done with it?

This is when someone throws a clk into the mix and my head starts to hurt :crazy::D

Yes the 220 is more frugal being a more modern design compared to the older 300. However the 6 cylinder in the 300 is always smoother but it is only marginally faster with only around 28 bhp more IIRC.

If it's a CIS injected car, it will drink fuel. Later EFI cars did better but suffered from the biodegradable wiring harness era

Chalk and cheese, the 300 has 38 bhp more but is much nicer to drive.

Both are good engines, the 4 cylinder is much more frugal, maybe 8 - 10mpg but sounds a bit rattly when pressing on IMHO

6 cylinders is what a w124 deserves

Had them both, 300 everytime.

Just so much smoother and just so "right"

Where the 300 will score is at the two ends of the cars performance. It will be quicker off the mark at the "traffic lights grand prix" and better at the high speeds 70+++prohibited by law in the UK. At legal A-road/motorway pace 55-70 +mph the M111 has a useful amount of torque allowing it to easily keep up with traffic. In the W124 its not a thrashy engine but doesn't obviously have the smoothness of a " six". Given the choice between a solid well kept 220 and a worn 300 the difference is not so great as to sway a buyer towards the 300 IMHO.:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom