300D auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manpolsabre

Car
1992 300D
Well it looks like I might put a bid in for my first Mercedes!

A 1992 300D with 65000 miles

Before I do, is there anything I should know about the auto gearbox. Is it reliable and is there anything I should look out for?

Also does it having a timing belt which needs changing, and at what mileage? If so is it a big job?

Any replies will be gratefully received!!

Bob

Welcome to the forum Bob, another Manchester member! :D
Originally posted by manpolsabre
Well it looks like I might put a bid in for my first Mercedes!

A 1992 300D with 65000 miles
Good choice!
Before I do, is there anything I should know about the auto gearbox. Is it reliable and is there anything I should look out for?
The auto is basically indestructible, nothing really to worry about. If it changes smoothly and makes no noise then it is fine.
Also does it having a timing belt which needs changing, and at what mileage? If so is it a big job?
It almost definitely has a timing chain, which should never need to be replaced unless it starts making a lot of noise. Someone else will be able to confirm that.

gearboxes last a long time - as shude says, listen for any noises - particularly on "overrun" when you have lifted off the throttle and make sure the changes are all smooth. My personal choice is changing the fluid and every 36,000 miles or so check the service history to see if it's been done.

Yes, it will have a timing chain, a duplex one that should be good for life - if it's noisy it needs replacing and if it or the sprocket looks worn then don't buy it as it's going to get expensive to put right - you should be able to inspect it easily through the oil filler on the cam cover.

Good luck on the purchase of the car

Andy

If you are going to replace the timing chain also change the guide rails too, but be careful removing the locating pins, shear one and its a fiddly job, not impossible, but fiddly. Did one on mine and it sheared. Pin cost £2.00 or there abouts, loss of temper, priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom