(300e 24v) Replacing Ignition Module by an aftermarket Electronic Ignition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy 7

Car
190e 2,3 / 300e 24
Hi guys!

I have a 300e 24v and a 190e 2,3.

I´m swapping the engine, getrag and diff from the w124 to the w201.

First problem...the Ignition Module only works for about 5 minutes or so...and then...no spark!

I´m not into electronics and don´t know how to repair it.

I was thinking...can I ditch it and replace it by an aftermarket Ignition? Let´s say an MSD, Lumenition, etc...

What do you guys think of this?

(thanks in advance!)

Is the module bolted to the inner wing as it would be in an original installation? If not, maybe it is overheating?

You could use an aftermarket system but you'd need to know (and replace) all the functions of the EZL module. A Lumenition replaces the contact breaker setup alone. The EZL does more than that. You might need something like an Emerald or Megasquirt, and then you'd need a trigger wheel & etc

Nick Froome

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the module bolted to the inner wing as it would be in an original installation? If not, maybe it is overheating?

You could use an aftermarket system but you'd need to know (and replace) all the functions of the EZL module. A Lumenition replaces the contact breaker setup alone. The EZL does more than that. You might need something like an Emerald or Megasquirt, and then you'd need a trigger wheel & etc

Nick Froome

Yes it is bolted to the inner wing.

What does the this particular EZL do?!

I thought it was only a spark regulator...

Last edited by a moderator:
It controls advance and retard in various engine states, with reference to rpm and manifold vacuum, as well as engine temp.
That is just for starters though, it also generates the rpm signal for the rev counter and fuel injection module.
There are other functions and complications too - a lot of pins on the EZL for a 24v car!

Are you sure it is the ezl at fault? Like the others have said, it is alot of work to replace it with an aftermarket system. And if you are going to do that, you may as well convert it to efi as well since you're half way there.

Have a look at this: My Very Own Nightmare...er... M104 + MS3 into my Sportline - 190 Revolution

eddy 7,if you dont mind mate,could i ask you how you came to the conclushon that it was the ignition module that is at fault?by any chance did the car start up and then stop with out warning?im having a problem with my w124 which are these symtoms and was wondering if it sounded the same as yours.

eddy 7,if you dont mind mate,could i ask you how you came to the conclushon that it was the ignition module that is at fault?by any chance did the car start up and then stop with out warning?im having a problem with my w124 which are these symtoms and was wondering if it sounded the same as yours.

As yours is a 230E and its got random cutting out, I would suspect that its the OVP Relay (Over Voltage Protection relay)....just do a search on OVP and you will get loads of info on this well known W124 weak spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom