300SE idling badly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Catman

Car
Mercedes E240
I last posted on the 5th of this month concerning my W126. I had to keep the engine revved until it reached near to its operating temperature, then it would stabilise and allow me to move away. I replaced both the dizzy cap and rotor arm (with genuine bosch parts) as per the advice from Mazza and Ianrandom. Now the car starts, usually on the second turn of the key and I do not have to keep the accelerator depressed. However, I DO still have to wait until the water temperature has crept up before I can go on my journey. Until the water temperature has reached approx. 80 degrees, the engine chugs away at 500rpm. Once the water temperature has increased sufficiently the engine sounds more normal and idles at about 740rpm. I have checked the fuse on top of the OVP relay and that is OK. I put the car on axle stands in order to change the fuel filter, but all the mechanical connections were very tight. I snapped a bracket screw (which I replaced), but was hesitant to proceed further in case I broke anything else. I will take the car to a local garage to get it changed on one of their hoists. The new fuel filter will be a Hengst.
So, that is my situation at the moment. My lovely W126 which used to start easily at the first turn of the ignition key now sounds and behaves as if it doesn't really want to go anywhere in a hurry. Any advice on possible causes would be greatly appreciated.:(

Hi

Glad to hear that engine starts on the second turn from cold, that means cold start injector is working fine and coolant temperature sensor is also working ok. I would have a look at the Idle control valve...sounds like theres a problem there.

mazza

Thank you for the swift reply. I have only just noticed that the ABS light is on, so my first thought is to replace the OVP relay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom