300SL-24 with AMG kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doodle

MB Enthusiast
Car
R129, KTM 1290SAR, Superb 272 wagon
1992 Mercedes 300SL-24 AMG R129 - 12 Months MOT | eBay

The advert is beautifully optimistic - the car appears to be pretty tired and unloved. Faded paint, front wing is completely rotten (wonder how it got the MoT with that jagged metalwork?), and it looks like the rear wing is scabby also. Drivers seat looks tired and worn beyond its mileage. No mention of history.
The hardtop won't unlock which means the roof mechanism is non-functional, the button isn't illuminating so it's more serious than they're trying to insinuate.
The alloys, while genuine, don't sit right on the car.

The AMG kit is the main value here, it's an early kit with embossed logos but the front bumper is cracked and needs repair, and you'll struggle to get the spoiler off the car in one piece. Realistically worth more in parts than as a going concern.

'The only reason I am selling the car is I have far too many cars & projects and being honest have no real need for this R129 and will not get round to giving it the TLC it deserves for quite a while. The SL would make an excellent car with very little work and is a great opportunity for someone. If I get any time wasters I will not relist the car and will get round to giving it the love and attention it deserves in the near future'.

Translation :-

'I bought this car without knowing what I was getting into, as soon as I found out it would cost a kings ransom to get it roadworthy I decided to sell it on to some other mug.

Obviously I couldn't sell it immediately, otherwise I'd scare off all the people foolish enough to waste their money, so I've delayed the sale until now.'

Not as bad as one I saw recently, but still a very optimistic description:crazy:

'I bought this car without knowing what I was getting into, as soon as I found out it would cost a kings ransom to get it roadworthy I decided to sell it on to some other mug.

Obviously I couldn't sell it immediately, otherwise I'd scare off all the people foolish enough to waste their money, so I've delayed the sale until now.'

Not as bad as one I saw recently, but still a very optimistic description:crazy:

What a silly thing to say :(:( I know the owner of the car and if you had 20+ mercedes,you would be wanting to sell some too

Are they as marvellously optimistic as their advert would have us believe?

What a silly thing to say :(:( I know the owner of the car and if you had 20+ mercedes,you would be wanting to sell some too

unfortunately Dash, too many people today just assume everyone else is up to no good, except them of course, they are the only honest person out there :wallbash:

Are they as marvellously optimistic as their advert would have us believe?

He's not trying to make you believe anything really so I don't see where the problem is

unfortunately Dash, too many people today just assume everyone else is up to no good, except them of course, they are the only honest person out there :wallbash:

Sorry for going OT boy's but Michael,just had to share this with you :)

Do you happen to know this car :D It wont let me attach a link but if you go on w124 co uk you'll see what I mean
Good to see it's in good hands which is what I wanted :thumb:

Last edited:

Do you happen to know this car :D It wont let me attach a link but if you go on w124 co uk you'll see what I mean

dash you talking about the white w124 on w 124 co uk

Last edited:

that is my old car

i can't believe its the same one!!!!

Last edited:
Visually, that SL could be mine if it weren't for the wheels, the number plate and the crusty wheelarch. It's not Schwarzblau, though; I'd say it was Azurite. (Mine's Schwarzblau according to the datacard, but it has been resprayed, possibly when the AMG kit was fitted - that, too, is not on the datacard). I've seen one in Schwarzblau; a rather dull look, imho. The jacking point covers - missing on mine - make a tremendous difference to the overall look of the car from the side, too.

The hardtop will presumably come off if it's unlatched manually, but the seller does say to assume the electric hood is u/s; let's hope the eventual buyer read, and took on board, the full description.

I'm watching it, but only to see what it fetches; it will give me some idea whether I've had my leg lifted on mine or not...

Different beast altogether Dennis than a 500.
A really lovely engine, that 24v.
I miss mine....

It doesn't look like Azurite to me. The thing is the lighting, camera, processing, your screen calibration can all affect how it looks on screen versus reality.

It looks like Azurite to me; it has that slight purplish tinge. What else could it be? ( I ask because mine has been resprayed from SchwarzBlau, and the general consensus is that it's Azurite, but that was from photographs; I'm the only one who has seen it in the paint, as it were.)

I've seen the car in the flesh and despite being surrounded by a sea of w124 proper exotica and pagodas it was the stand out car for me just for being interesting despite being a bit rough. I personally thought it was midnight blue which like azzurite does contain a bit of purple but was jolly dirty so who knows. Definitely looked different to the azzurite of my 208

The hardtop will presumably come off if it's unlatched manually, but the seller does say to assume the electric hood is u/s; let's hope the eventual buyer read, and took on board, the full description.

I just wonder if the vendor knows you have to operate the hardtop release within 10 seconds of turning the ignition on ( preferably starting the engine ) - it's a safety measure to prevent accidental release whilst in motion .

The switch isn't meant to illuminate except during operation or if the roof isn't properly locked when an alarm sounds - this is all in the owners handbook .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom