300sl Replica

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stereophoney

Car
SLK32, Clio Diesel
Just stumbled across this and it's actually quite nice! I'm about to put my SLK32 for sale, but may have to reconsider!

slk-gullwing.jpg

This Mercedes SLK32 AMG Has An Old Soul (And Gullwing Style)

Last edited:
Perhaps the way round it is the key phrase "full size replica" If this rather nice replica is a slightly scaled down version -it might just get away with it??

It also displays the Three Pointed Star , and MB legal department is also notoriously strict about unauthorised use of their copyrighted trademark - similar vehicles styled after the likes of the W 08 have also fallen foul , as have the likes of Binz or Brabus who remove the stars from MB based vehicles they have modified and replace with their own insignia .

Mercedes-Benz have in the past seized and crushed such vehicles for copyright infringement , leaving the owners with nothing .

The design of the car is copyright and this recreation therefore illegal .

See link below -

Daimler crushes unauthorized Mercedes-Benz 300 SL body - Autoblog

Unless he starts mass converting them with the purpose of reselling, MB won't be interested.

It's the same as writing 'AMG' on one's t shirt. That won't get you a fine for copyright infringement.

Producing an unauthorised copy of a car , then offering it for sale , as has been done here , even one car , does run the risk of prosecution when Daimler state " the body of the 300 SL is a "work of applied art" that has been under copyright protection for decades. And to make clear their intent to protect that copyright they also remind us they have "long taken a tough approach to vehicle replicas." " .

Derek is correct about Mercedes almost paranoid obsession concerning replicas of their iconic models. I was merely speculating just how different any replica would have to be to be exempt. An issue possibly only likely to be settled in court

Oddly, they didn't come down too hard on this one...

Take a closer look;)

Attachments

• MercParts.jpg
    MercParts.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 45
  • MercParts2.jpg
    MercParts2.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 37
The wheels totally look out of place imo

That is absolutely astonishing! Was it shortlisted for the Turner Prize? I wonder if it's ridiculously heavy?

That is absolutely astonishing! Was it shortlisted for the Turner Prize? I wonder if it's ridiculously heavy?

It certainly is not light! It was on a stand close to where I was at the 2011 Frankfurt motor show.
Fine art...but not as we know it Jim!:cool:

Isn't Mercedes being unnecessarily heavy-handed in "protecting" their IP around the 300 SL?
I think so because the intent is not to pass off this car as a genuine original. It is right not an underhand forgery - it is a tribute. Like doing a guitar cover of stairway to heaven. Seeing the odd SL300 lookalikes on the road, would pique public interest and so enhance the brand and desirability, not diminish it as Mercedes claim.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

The ingenious creator could well contest that he had to re-body / re-use it.

He had an expensive, 'premium' brand car, 2002 ... which had rusted to f**k, like they do. Which is not right!

It also displays the Three Pointed Star , and MB legal department is also notoriously strict about unauthorised use of their copyrighted trademark - similar vehicles styled after the likes of the W 08 have also fallen foul , as have the likes of Binz or Brabus who remove the stars from MB based vehicles they have modified and replace with their own insignia .

We actually had contact from them over on the 190 forum, threatening us with legal action if we didn't remove the three pointed star from our forum header ! WTF are these people thinking? Totally over the top.

MBUK are in a world of their own and really treat the customers and long time fans/owners as scum.

We actually had contact from them over on the 190 forum, threatening us with legal action if we didn't remove the three pointed star from our forum header ! WTF are these people thinking? Totally over the top.

MBUK are in a world of their own and really treat the customers and long time fans/owners as scum.

I don't understand why people find that surprising. Was the forum a Mercedes-Benz product? Were the opinions expressed on it those of M-B? Was the grammar and spelling of M-B standards? If the answer is "no" to any part (and it is "no") then M-B would be keen not to have the forum masquerade as a genuine M-B product. Simples.

Slight tangent on a thread (no pun intended)

A friend in Brighton used to own his own Gift Card business & shop. One day he arrived home terribly excited. Mary Quant, had come into his shop and bought a load of cards - from him personally. He told everybody.

Two days later he received a solicitors letter at his shop telling him that Mary Quant had purchased several items from his shop, that she considered were a breach of her Copywright. The letter demanded that he destroy all his stock and desist from copying her imagery - He wasn't and didn't. It never got to court, when it shown that his wife was his designer and there was no breach, either intentional, or not.

Just saying.

Nice story, which is a little different by the signs of it since there's no replication by the sounds of it. What's the same though is that the company (Quant, MB) is not damaged by its existence. MB have shot themselves in the foot. It could have been so different, by turning their attitude around, applauded the maker and given them some help (eg metal bits), advice to raise the 300SL profile with the general public, get a unique feel good story that would have probably made the papers in a very positive light.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

But in the case of the SL300 and the three pointer star neither defendant could claim they designed them

Just saying...

Perhaps had either approached MB and asked for permission?

Last edited:
As per Mr Grinch, damaging should be the first consideration, not holding onto all things ' brand' as "my precious....."

Missed opportunity for MB there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom