300sl roof problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dog

Car
BMW 530i, ford focus, Mercedes 300sl, Kawasaki zzr1100
Need help here if any knows, i put the hard top on the car and in the right position but the roof is not locking down and the red switch is flashing.
I took the roof off and then tried the soft top up that did not work either. Also when i put the ignition on the roll bar switch flashes for a few seconds and then goes off but the roll bar does not work. Only the windows work up and down, anyone had this sort of problems

Have you done anything with the car recently that might have caused an upset in the electronics? Tired battery, charging-in-car, anything like that? Has the car been jump started?

Check the level of fluid in the hydraulic reservoir by taking out the spare wheel. You'll see the tank underneath the black plastic cover, with a slit to check the level and two MIN and MAX marks. The seals in the hydraulic rams fail with age and your symptoms possibly suggest a lack of hydraulic pressure. The R129 roof mechanism is complicated however, with plenty of things that can go wrong.

Hardtop - make sure the parking brake is on, doors open, windows down, transmission in Park. Turn the engine off, remove the key. Then reinsert the key, start the engine and promptly press the button forward to lock down the roof.

Have you got the roof tool to lock the hardtop in place manually? It's basically a thin spanner at one end and an allen key at the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6BrsM3ilj8

Have you done anything with the car recently that might have caused an upset in the electronics? Tired battery, charging-in-car, anything like that? Has the car been jump started?

Check the level of fluid in the hydraulic reservoir by taking out the spare wheel. You'll see the tank underneath the black plastic cover, with a slit to check the level and two MIN and MAX marks. The seals in the hydraulic rams fail with age and your symptoms possibly suggest a lack of hydraulic pressure. The R129 roof mechanism is complicated however, with plenty of things that can go wrong.

Hardtop - make sure the parking brake is on, doors open, windows down, transmission in Park. Turn the engine off, remove the key. Then reinsert the key, start the engine and promptly press the button forward to lock down the roof.

Have you got the roof tool to lock the hardtop in place manually? It's basically a thin spanner at one end and an allen key at the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6BrsM3ilj8

Done all the above no joy looking at the tank in the boot the level is just above the min, would that effect the roof ?
I have ordered the correct hydraulic oil MB343.0 only because they recommend it not to use any other oil ?. O is it ok to mix the hydraulic oil ?
As for the roof i had a make shift spanner made but no joy allen key ok front went down easy as for the back my make sift spanner only went down one click and then spread it supposed to do two clicks and did not get that far.
So that's on order to £18 for a spanner :(.
I will try again once i get all what I've ordered if no joy i am thinking it maybe electric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom