300TD - injectors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

balge

Car
Mercedes-Benz W124
Hi
'92 300TD, om603 non-turbo.
Fuel filters replaced a few thousand miles back

Haven't driven the car recently, missus has been using it... she says it's a bit rough and smokes a bit on starting...
Went out yesterday and it would barely start, much cranking got it going eventually but running rough as anything, clouds of smoke. Smoothed out a lot when thoroughly warm, but still making odd noises, bit like 'pinking'and a trace of smoke (white - grey smoke) and seems a bit down on power - sounds like an injector failure?

Missus says she ran it nearly dry, I put 2 Gallons in and the reserve light came on after about 2 miles, so pretty empty! Just wondered if it could be some crud from the tank rather than damage ie is it worth trying a 'purge' with some kind of cleaner, do they work?
Or just a case for replacement?

I know nothing about the fuel system so any tips appreciated!

cheers

Forte Diesel treatment would be a good first step. I use it a couple of times a year and it keeps things ticking over nicely in the injector department.

Sounds like it may be a little deeper than just injector cleaner though. Possible air getting into the fuel system. Dieselman will be along shortly to cast an experienced eye over the symptoms for you.

Had a quick look at the car this afternoon, not as bad as yesterday, starting and smoke-wise, but now the glow plug lamp has started misbehaving.
Turn the car on, no glow light for 15 seconds or so, then a clunk from the relay and the light comes on, then stays on for about a minute, then goes out - whether you start the car or not?

Also, had a look at the three clear fuel lines at the front, and they all seem to have lots of bubbles in the flow whilst running, which seems wrong, not sure it was like that last time I looked..?

cheers!

It does sound like an air leak problem, classic signs, including the rattle/knocking sound.

bubbles and glow plug

Hi
OK just had another look in better light, the bubbles are only in pipe on the the right, which looks to be the return side to the filter from the pump...after turning off the engine they disappear fairly quickly...which sounds more normal...or shouldn't there be any bubbles in that one either?

As for the glow-plug lamp, found a bit in the manual, so I'll get the meter on it, and check the wiring at least, not sure if I know anyone with a clamp though...

brrr ...cold out!

Well looks like high resistance on No 1 (front cylinder right?), might be a wire problem but most likely the glow-plug is gone? Will have another look tomorrow, just in case it is the wire or connections.

Would the glow-plug being duff affect running once the car is fully warmed up? I thought they were just for starting - or is that down to possible air-leak?

cheers!

Last edited:
Ah ok...so presumably something else to sort out too...

and the bubbles in the return fuel line, is that normal? I thought a few were ok at tickover, haven't been able to check it whilst revving.

Not sure if I'm chasing an air leak or a duff injector yet...

cheers!

You shouldn't have flowing bubbles at idle. A real test is to rev the engine hard from idle, that will find any lack of sealing.

OK, re-tested with the meter on the right setting :eek: - one plug down, one a bit out of spec so two new glow-plugs in the post.

Checked the fuel lines again, bubbles are actually in the 'injection pump inlet line', there all the time, more revs = more bubbles. Nothing in the other two clear lines.

Think I'll get the glow-plugs done then give it a purge and new filters and take it from there...

cheers!

how did you get on with your problem after fitting glow plugs mate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom