300te electrics and water mix......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike Buley

Car
C200 Estate, TVR S3C, but minus the cat with a few naughty tweeks, Volvo 940 wentworth(vomit green)
Whilst on the motorway 2 days ago my newly replaced radiator (new tensioner unit which needed the radiator moving) let go of its top hose, emptying the whole coolant system immediately.
After nearly filling my pants I managed to stop hopefully before cooking my engine. I refilled it and carried on.

Since then, no cooling snags but.....
It seems like the car is 'stuttering' sort of misfiring, or it even feels like you can feel every bit of the road surface, if I hadnt known the car before then I probably wouldnt notice it.

The garage have admitted liability (which is pretty amazing) and have agreed to carry out all work (including new head gasket if needed!!!!!) for free - you dont get that often without a fight.

The problem is really doing my head in. Dave Elcome has given me some good advice by requesting the garage to put an air hose on various electrical connectors.

Any other advice gratefully recieved.

Mike.
:confused:

If it was the top hose - then you will almost certainly sprayed coolant everywhere

So like Dave said - get an airline and a can of WD40 and do every elecrical connector you can find

If your engine is the same as mine - then the dizzy could have taken a good dose of water - so cap off and clean out inside
It will run rough until you find the one connector/part that is causing the grief - then like magic it will be ok again !

Good of the garage to admit liability though - and under the circumstances it might be prudent to let them do the electrics !

HTH

Mark

Thanks Mark,
I have taken the car to the garage, he had a good poke about and found the inside of the distributor cap a bit damp. So, lots of air hosing and wd40 ing later it runs as it did.

However, he did notice a small split in an ignition lead, so I will get a new set of those.

Thanks for your help.

Mike.:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom