300te HELP !!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drumhead87m

Car
1988 300te mercedes benz
:dk: I now own a 1988 300te wagon ,the motor has 19500 miles on it, the the car sat for 5 years in a garage , I start it up the motor it runs pretty good , I go about 2 miles it runs pretty good , then out of the blue it starts chugging and I can barely get it home ... I let it set for an hour and it starts right up and runs great again for about 2 miles then runs like trash again , It had bad gas , I changed it ,I changed the fuel filter , same thing happens , it has :doh: 2 fuel pumps one is very noisy , What do I do next ?? Help me please ,,,thanks drumhead87m

I'd start by changing the fuel filter

Excessive vacuum in the fuel tank due to blocked vent tube? Try running it with the fuel filler open to test this theory.

Have you also changed the plugs? I'd be inclined to give it a mini service as well as changing the fuel pump as its possibly on its way out. Maybe also worth adding some Redex or equivalent to the tank.

Last edited:
Take the distributor cap and rotor arm off and check the condition.

Will

Both my 300TE and my 300TE-24 did this at times .

It baffled me to begin with but in both cases a new set of spark plugs cured it .

Aso check the condition of the distributor cap , these can deteriorate quickly on these models and , on a car that has sat for five years , may be full of condensation .

Due to the length of lay up , be sure to change all fluids , including diff oil ( this is what failed on my 300TE after a two year lay up ) and check rubber components like poly belt , coolant hoses and flexible brake hoses ; tyres , obviously , will need to be changed after standing so long .

Man you guys are great!! thank you I'll keep you posted I would love to drive this car Thanks Pontoneer!!

Will thanks so much I'll give her a try drumhead87m

Thank you so much 300ce you guys are so cool ,, no one in my town knows nothing about these cars thanks sir

Troon thanks but how do you test the fuel filler ? I replaced the fuel filter ,, thanks I am determined to drive this car ,,thanks

Sounds like condensation in the distributor cap, take it off and clean it out.

I have a 300TE just bought it replaced fuel filter , spark plugs when you start it it hard to get started once you do you floor it and it wants to die .let off the gas and it stays running at least then chuggs and jerks when you try to accelerate , floor it and the rdiator bottom hose collapses you can watch it , put to cans of fuel injector cleaner it and sea foam with premium fuel ..Im lost but would love to drive my Benz ,,Any suggestions ?? thanks

Hi
you said one of the pumps is very noisy? Could mean that that pump is preparing to die, or else maybe the other one is already dead?
You should hear them spinning up for a few seconds when starting the car then stop - you might be able to hear them from outside with the car running.

If the filters are blocking up regularly you need to check the inside of the tank isn't rusty.

Coil, leads, plugs and distributor cap need to be good too

Not sure about the radiator hose collapsing, doesn't sound good though?

cheers!

Thanks Balge going to work on all of the suggestions !

Thanks,thanks,thanks ,thanks, to all you mates who helped me get my 1988 300 te benz on the road , it was a leaky gas line plus a distributor , plugs ,new fuel ,new rotor , she runs much better , your a bunch of great folks thanks again ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing like german engineering in the palm of your hand ,,,,,plus i can still load my drums for shows !!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE TECH ADVICE.. Shes running pretty well no more chugging ..thanks to all drumhead87m

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE TECH ADVICE.. Shes running pretty well no more chugging ..thanks to all drumhead87m

Excellent ....Enjoy:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom