311cdi 07 non starting , please please help , im at wit's end now , thanks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Didman1975

Car
Mercedes sprinter 311cdi
Thank to admin for excepting me , I'm in need of help , I've a mercedes sprinter 311cdi I brought at a bargain price of £6500 , it's a curtain sider with lightweight alloy and sleeper pod , I've had it a year n half now , it started with the engine failure, now has a recon engine , gearbox , propshaft, rear axle, dpf and new turbo cartridge , it now has cost me £20.000 to buy and repair, problems now , turbo screaming and not boosting , just replaced the turbo boost sensor and started the engine , I left it running to warm up for a test drive ,then the engine cut out , now it will not start , I'm at wits end now , ....

The engine management light has been on n off since I brought it.
The autobox doesn't kick down ,only in low speed
It barley gets to 40mph ,up hill be quicker to push it!!!
It's like limp mode

anyone have any advice please

Last edited:
My thoughts are:
1) Invest €150 or so in a diagnostic scanner (I recommend iCarSoft) so you can see what the engine management computers themselves are thinking is wrong. Limp mode is very likely correct, and very likely the reason for gearbox not kicking down, but you need to work out what the vehicle thinks is wrong. Think of your 311 as a selection of computers all working together, you need to find out what error the computers are seeing and thus why they are protecting the engine via limp mode.
2) Turbo screaming and not boosting, my suggestion is a boost leak somewhere. A split in a pipe somewhere between the turbo exit, through intercooler, and finally to intake. Quite hard to find if the engine is not running though.
3) Engine ran, so you know there is no major mechanical issue. Running when cold but stalling, my suggestion would be crank position sensor (if it ran fine for 5-10 minutes) or fuel pump/fuel filter (if it only ran for a few seconds). Diagnostics will help narrow this one down.

Martin.

My thoughts are:
1) Invest €150 or so in a diagnostic scanner (I recommend iCarSoft) so you can see what the engine management computers themselves are thinking is wrong. Limp mode is very likely correct, and very likely the reason for gearbox not kicking down, but you need to work out what the vehicle thinks is wrong. Think of your 311 as a selection of computers all working together, you need to find out what error the computers are seeing and thus why they are protecting the engine via limp mode.
2) Turbo screaming and not boosting, my suggestion is a boost leak somewhere. A split in a pipe somewhere between the turbo exit, through intercooler, and finally to intake. Quite hard to find if the engine is not running though.
3) Engine ran, so you know there is no major mechanical issue. Running when cold but stalling, my suggestion would be crank position sensor (if it ran fine for 5-10 minutes) or fuel pump/fuel filter (if it only ran for a few seconds). Diagnostics will help narrow this one down.

Martin.
Thanks Martin, I'm away from the van in lock down , hoping to get back within a week and have a look , it has bend driving me mad , I was hoping the new dpf that was fitted would of helped , past codes on a mates reader come up with

P2033 exhaust gas temperature EGT sensor circuit high bank sensor 2

P2453 diesel particulate filter pressure sensor A circuit range performance

P2A00 02 sensor circuit range performance bank 1 sensor

But not had chance to look properly with the other bit not working yet , it's a nightmare

I looked into the reader you said , but dont read codes if the engine not running 🤔😮😫😖😤😭😭

Thanks Martin, I'm away from the van in lock down , hoping to get back within a week and have a look , it has bend driving me mad , I was hoping the new dpf that was fitted would of helped , past codes on a mates reader come up with

P2033 exhaust gas temperature EGT sensor circuit high bank sensor 2

P2453 diesel particulate filter pressure sensor A circuit range performance

P2A00 02 sensor circuit range performance bank 1 sensor

But not had chance to look properly with the other bit not working yet , it's a nightmare

I looked into the reader you said , but dont read codes if the engine not running 🤔😮😫😖😤😭😭

I don't think any of those codes would stop it running, but I do think that any of them individually could trigger the limp mode.

My thoughts are that you have changed so much, over such a period of time, that you need to reset and start again. I think you need to clear all the fault codes, try starting the engine again, and see what codes reappear merely by cranking the engine. My guess is still crank position sensor (which will show a fault code) or fuel pump (which will show a low fuel pressure fault code).

All code readers I have ever used, including iCarSoft, work when the engine is not running - with the ignition in position 2, i.e. all dash warning lights on, but engine not running.

Martin.

I don't think any of those codes would stop it running, but I do think that any of them individually could trigger the limp mode.

My thoughts are that you have changed so much, over such a period of time, that you need to reset and start again. I think you need to clear all the fault codes, try starting the engine again, and see what codes reappear merely by cranking the engine. My guess is still crank position sensor (which will show a fault code) or fuel pump (which will show a low fuel pressure fault code).

All code readers I have ever used, including iCarSoft, work when the engine is not running - with the ignition in position 2, i.e. all dash warning lights on, but engine not running.

Martin.
Just ordered the scanner icarsoft mb 11 , I will see what I come up with , thanks for your advice, I will keep you informed, thanks Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom